Author Topic: hex signs on southern rifles  (Read 3322 times)

jim m

hex signs on southern rifles
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »
was mentioned in another post that some southern guns had hex symbols on the barrel flats. anyone have any pictures of these symbols. any written material to research.
thanks
Jim

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: hex signs on southern rifles
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 03:53:38 AM »
Jim,
I've seen circles and dots on the muzzle end of several Southern guns.  I don't know if you would call them hex signs or not.  I've heard they were but believe they are just decoration. If you look at decorations blacksmiths applied to various goods (Tomahawks for instance)you will see dots and circles.  These are tools of the trade and a way for a smith to decorate without having a skill like engraving or carving. 

Just my opinion and would love to hear others.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Carper

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 04:29:34 AM »
The Carpers ran a wavy looking vine ( chicken track) from the breach to the muzzle of each flat that was exposed on about all the rifles made prior to 1900. The best looking thing I ever saw on a southern rifle was a rattlesnake running the full length of the barrel on the top flat, it was on a Honaker made in southern west Virginia. I once had a full stock rifle made in Monroe County WV dated 1872 that had a poured nose cap ( looked like pewter) in the the shape of what is now commonly called a confederate battle flag, it had the stars engraved on it.  Johnny Walker

bryanbrown

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 05:49:54 AM »
Keep in mind the Moravian's founded Old Salem in NC and are some of the original rifle smiths in the Carolinas. These are the same culture (just 90 years + earlier) that the Pa Deutch come from.   I'll dig through some of my books and see if I can find anything photo wise.