Author Topic: .54 caliber smoothbore questions  (Read 762 times)

Offline MuskratMike

.54 caliber smoothbore questions
« on: June 29, 2022, 11:58:21 PM »
I have never had, built or even shot a smoothbore (other than modern shotguns). I am considering a .54 caliber as I don't hunt turkeys (few in my area) or racoons and squirrels. I would be in all probability be shooting patched round balls at club shoots. I am thinking 1760's to 1790's era in the Virginia Kentucky or western N. Carolina architecture.
My real question is would a rifleman like me be better off with a "smooth rifle" or a traditional fowler? Is there any history of smooth rifles with only a front sight? I think most smoothbores of this era were larger bore than .54 but would like it in this caliber for the simple reason I can use it with my bag/horn set up I already have for my other .54's. Finally will a .530 round ball with a greased .018 patch work?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 01:23:12 AM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline martin9

Re: .54 caliber smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 12:11:18 AM »
That patch and ball will be too big...at least in mine. without the cut rifling for the patch to compress into you need a smaller combo. I use .530 bare over powder with just an over shot card or .520 ball with a thin-ish patch...never measured it. If the club doesn't allow rear sights for smoothbore matches I'd go fowler...if they do I guess whichever style you prefer.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 12:14:47 AM »
 :-\ I was always under the impression that the rear sight on that smooth bore was what made it a " smooth rifle ".

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 12:36:08 AM »
Smylee: I was under the impression that a smooth rifle was built on a rifle stock configuration as opposed to a more traditional fowler stock configuration but what I don't know about these will fill volumes of books. I also can't find any pictures of smooth rifles with no rear sight but my selection of books with these are slim.
Thanks for helping out.
Mike
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline martin9

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 01:21:52 AM »
I've got a few books and most of the KRA discs...I can't remember seeing a smooth rifle without a rear sight.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 01:38:22 AM »
Get it in .55 or "true 28 bore". You can then use a .530 roundball.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?