Author Topic: My first horn  (Read 649 times)

Offline HSmithTX

My first horn
« on: May 15, 2023, 05:59:44 PM »
This is the first horn I’ve made, came as kit but most of it was not used.  The shoelace for a strap needs thrown away and I’ll get to that when I figure out what I want to make.  I wasn’t shooting for any particular style, I wanted to see how the horn material moved and shaped more than anything so I can make a plan for the next one.  Pine plug whittled to fit, hard maple cap pinned and glued to it.  Nails and staple forged by me.  Airtight and functional. 

Offline Flintandsmoke

Re: My first horn
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 08:45:27 AM »
Looks good!

Offline DougS

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 11:15:17 AM »
Looks great to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Doug

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 04:13:02 PM »
 Good first try, nothing wrong with that shoe lace strap. Looks like you did a good job on the facets. A couple of suggestions, tapper the horn more so it flows into the tip and is fairly thin, a couple of in the works Pix. Use a round staple, square or twisted will cut through a strap over time.
 Be careful, horn making is addictive.

Tim C.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 05:36:32 PM »
What Tim said.
Good outcome for #1 horn.
Jantz Knife Making Supply offers round files in several grits and sizes.  Makes filing those grooves much easier for a nice finish.
John (Bigsmoke)

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 06:26:29 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback!! 

Tim, I was hoping you would look at it, it is pretty squat looking as it is and would look much better if it had a bit more flow into the tip. I'll make sure my next horn is better. Would a rawhide strap loop on the staple last longer than soft leather?   Or I can forge a ring and attach the strap to it,  I have some ideas there that could be pretty cool and will probably do that. I enjoyed making the horn a lot more than I thought I would. My second horn has the walnut plug whittled and fitted and another maple cap shaped already, trying to get a plan together for the horn itself now. Trying to be ambitious with the design while still attainable at my skill level.

John, appreciate the direction on the files.  My groover now is size chain saw LOL. I will pick up a few more sizes.  I sealed the grooves on this horn with beeswax, not sure if it's needed or not but figured it couldn't hurt.