Author Topic: Another Screw Tip  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Another Screw Tip
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »
 This one is 15" around the outside curve including the stopper. The base is about 2" and is of Walnut with a staple for the strap. It is held in with four wooden pins.
 The tips is turned horn and about 3" long and 3/4" at the widest, it is taped 1/2 X 13. The stopper is Hickory. Body colored with AF and heat.

Tim C.

eseabee1

Re: Another Screw Tip
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »
another good looking horn

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »
I like it, Tim.  Is the plug hollowed out?  I like the variation of colors showing in the tip.  Can you tell me the diameter of the tip at its widest point?

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:47:32 AM »
Tim,
That's another great looking horn!  With your productivity, you're gonna need a bigger bag to haul all them horns around!

Question for you.  How do you get the tip of the horn down to the right size, round and ready to cut the male threads with, I assume, a 1/2-13 die?

-Ron
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:21:44 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Ky Ken

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 01:10:30 AM »
Outstanding work Tim. :)

seesbirds

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:22:59 AM »
That's a good looking horn Tim. 

Mark

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 06:02:56 AM »
Another great looking screw tip Tim.  I really liked the way the color came out with AF.  Great job.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 06:10:39 PM »
I like it, Tim.  Is the plug hollowed out?  I like the variation of colors showing in the tip.  Can you tell me the diameter of the tip at its widest point?

Regards,
Pletch

Yes the base is hollowed out. I know it is not PC for all to be but it does help lighten the load and add maybe one more shot or so.
 The tip is about 3/4" at the widest.
  The basic shape of the tip comes from the horn on page 63 in Grant's Powder horns and Their Architecture .

Tim C.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
Tim, are we sure hollowing out the base plug is not period correct??  I seem recall seeing some originals someplace where the base plugs were hollowed out some (golden age horns).  Probably more done to relieve stresses on future wood seasonal changes than anything else.  Maybe Art or John P can enlighten us? 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
Tim,
That's another great looking horn!  With your productivity, you're gonna need a bigger bag to haul all them horns around!

Question for you.  How do you get the tip of the horn down to the right size, round and ready to cut the male threads with, I assume, a 1/2-13 die?

-Ron

For the 1/2-13 I turn the horn on the lathe. Cut off the tip, drill the spout hole and tap it for 1/4-20. Screw a bolt in, chuck it up in a Jacobs chuck and turn it down. I use the 3/4" hole saw method for 5/8-11 but the lathe will do it too. The lathe gives you a better constant size.

Tim C.  

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »
Tim, are we sure hollowing out the base plug is not period correct??  I seem recall seeing some originals someplace where the base plugs were hollowed out some (golden age horns).  Probably more done to relieve stresses on future wood seasonal changes than anything else.  Maybe Art or John P can enlighten us? 
Gary

I do not think all horns with turned base plugs had the base hollowed out. I think it was a trait of certain makers or areas. I have been told that and i think I read it somewhere also.
 I would like to know more.

Tim C.

Jefferson58

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:27:17 PM »
Tim:

I really like the tip shape on this one. Nice job. The coloring looks good too. I am still experimenting with the AF dying.

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 12:50:47 AM »
Tim:

I really like the tip shape on this one. Nice job. The coloring looks good too. I am still experimenting with the AF dying.

Jeff

I used the procedure outlined by John Proud in the May 2009 issue of
The Horn Book Along with some AF suppled by a Kibble/Pratt collaboration,           Thanks Guys...

Tim C. 

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 06:23:55 AM »
Thanks for the info Tim.  I tried turning a horn on my lathe.... once!  Turned it too fast and flung it off.  I was finally able to find a 3/4 hole saw...  looking forward to trying it out.

I thought of another question.  What is your process for actually using the tap and the die?  Do you heat the horn?  Use some sort of lube?  I'm having trouble with the threads being kinda crumbly.  Maybe this horn is just stringy?

Thanks again.
-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »

I thought of another question.  What is your process for actually using the tap and the die?  Do you heat the horn?  Use some sort of lube?  I'm having trouble with the threads being kinda crumbly.  Maybe this horn is just stringy?

Thanks again.
-Ron

I find that if the tap and die are not really sharp the horn will tear. If the piece you are trying to thread is a little to large it will also tear rather than cut.
 When cutting threads on a horn I usually make the neck,portion to be threaded, longer than finished length and taper the front slightly to make it easier for the die to get started.  I know there are other ways but this works for me.

Tim C.

PS: Yes, I sometimes use a lube, just a touch of Crisco. I used to use bee's wax but it was to gummy.TC