Author Topic: Berks County Spotted Horn  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Berks County Spotted Horn
« on: August 06, 2022, 03:29:00 PM »
Another post talked about these horns, so I thought I’d share one that’s in my collection. I’ve heard speculation that the spots were made by animal blood, but I’m not sure anybody knows for sure. Anyhow, I find them to be great looking horns and I’m happy to own this example.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Berks County Spotted Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »
Here’s one of Art’s horns.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 08:22:53 PM »
 I've never heard the blood theory before but that is a fine looking complete horn.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:04:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 10:14:45 PM »
That is indeed a fine horn, Frank. It appears to be a bit smaller than most of these spotted horns. There is some discussion as to when they were made and in fashion. Last I heard was in mid to late 1700s. Yours is old enough and used to the point that the spots are becoming faded some. It is a great piece. Thank you for sharing it here.
Dick

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 12:52:03 AM »
I've never heard the blood theory before but that is a fine looing complete horn.

Tim C.

Yes, years ago there was a lot of discussion about what made the spots and the talk was that they were made with animal blood. Unless someone analyzes the spots on one of them I guess we’ll never know.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 12:55:05 AM »
That is indeed a fine horn, Frank. It appears to be a bit smaller than most of these spotted horns. There is some discussion as to when they were made and in fashion. Last I heard was in mid to late 1700s. Yours is old enough and used to the point that the spots are becoming faded some. It is a great piece. Thank you for sharing it here.
Dick

Thanks Dick, I’m happy to share. Yes, this one is a bit smaller than most, but it has a good shape and I like the wear, it shows that it was carried and used and I find that appealing.