Author Topic: Brass Matchbox  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Bob Rearley

Brass Matchbox
« on: July 18, 2022, 07:19:47 AM »
Gentlemen,

Gathering all the info I can find on patchbox construction and engraving.
I have read all the tutorials I can find and the best I can tell most engrave after the brass is inlet and screwed down to the stock.  Is there anyone who does the engraving before mounting the brass to the stock?  i don't want to do anything that I will later regret.  Thanks in advance.
Bob

Offline Grischi

• Youtube: 'Ist das Kunst oder kann das weg?'
Re: Brass Matchbox
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 07:25:02 AM »
Engraving the patchbox before installing it is a bit risky. If you have to file or sand the transition between wood and metal, the engraving may be damaged or removed.

Christian

Offline JLayne

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 01:23:08 PM »
Check out some of the later videos in the “Building a Lancaster Rifle” thread by Bill Raby on this forum. He inlets his brass patch box, then removes the pieces and temporarily attaches them to scrap wood that can be held in a vice so that he can engrave them while off the rifle. He uses some sort of green shellac that he melts to attach the pieces to the wood block.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 02:40:28 PM »
I inlet the box , then remove it and bondo the pieces to blocks of wood. When I'm done engraving I use a little heat and the bondo releases.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »
If you use Mike’s method, it’s important to get the whole piece solidly mounted.
You don’t want any part of the metal loose where it can bounce as you are trying to engrave it.
That would definitely hinder the process.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Online Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 05:16:57 PM »
I inlet the box , then remove it and bondo the pieces to blocks of wood. When I'm done engraving I use a little heat and the bondo releases.

Exactly what I do

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 05:56:04 PM »
Hi,
I would never try to engrave the box while on the gun unless it is really simple engraving.  There is no substitute for being able to spin the brass in a vise while engraving.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 06:07:36 PM »
What Mike, Jeff and Dave said.  The other thing I do when engraving the lid, is to attach a short piece of fuel line tubing to the latch post that extends down thru a hole on my wood engraving block.  This prevents a %$#@ show when removing the lid from the Bondo.  Same goes for any screw holes, I use a small piece of tape to cover to keep the Bondo from getting places I don't want it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:13:38 PM by TommyG »

Offline Bob Rearley

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 09:54:08 PM »
This engraving is not very sophisticated and is pretty shallow.  Priceless comments that will help in flattening the learning curve.  Thanks to all.
Bob