Author Topic: Double lobed horn  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Flintandsmoke

Double lobed horn
« on: July 18, 2022, 08:07:50 AM »
Hey folks, I recently found this beautiful horn up in the North East. I know its a double lobed horn. I also know it’s from somewhere between 1750 and 1770. Can anyone help me fill in the gaps?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Double lobed horn
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 03:56:43 PM »
Looks pretty tight - I don’t see any gaps.  ::)

I think you’re right on timeframe and location - New England is about as close as you’ll get. Terrific early horn.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 11:06:07 PM »

I think you’re right on timeframe and location - New England is about as close as you’ll get. Terrific early horn.

Thank you Rich, i saw it and couldn’t turn it down

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 01:50:08 AM »

Right place, right time! Lucky I didn’t see it first!  These “common man” early horns are right in my wheelhouse.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 02:49:59 AM »

Right place, right time! Lucky I didn’t see it first!  These “common man” early horns are right in my wheelhouse.

I’m actually getting this one reproduced by Henry Bowman for use in my New Hampshire frontier persona circa 1750/60

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 03:14:13 AM »
The heraldic device, or an American Indian glyph is what appeals to me on this horn. I do not recognize the symbol, but lean toward Indian: the figure resembles 'men' figures on some wampum belts. It is a great piece and is certainly a treasure. You could have the carry hole lobes restored and put it back somewhat. Actually they look like they may have been broken off somewhat later in the history/use period. Thank you for sharing your good fortune with us here on the ALR.
Dick 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 09:03:17 AM »
 Nice horn, is there any carving on it?

Tim C.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 07:58:00 PM »
Dick,

Where is the heraldic device or Indian glyph located on this horn? I may be blind, but I can't find it.

Shelby Gallien

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 09:01:42 PM »
Shelby, it is carved into the wood butt plug. On second glance now, it may be the initials 'E D' which have been bisected by the long line down the middle. However, the middle cross stroke on the 'E' does not seen to have the terminal arm that the outer strokes have. The long 'center line' may just be an accidental addition. Would like to have it in hand and take a good close look. For now it is just speculation. Neat horn and appears to be quite old.
Dick

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 10:36:39 PM »
Nice horn, is there any carving on it?

Tim C.

Tim, no sir, plain as the day she was made

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 10:42:09 PM »
Shelby, it is carved into the wood butt plug. On second glance now, it may be the initials 'E D' which have been bisected by the long line down the middle. However, the middle cross stroke on the 'E' does not seen to have the terminal arm that the outer strokes have. The long 'center line' may just be an accidental addition. Would like to have it in hand and take a good close look. For now it is just speculation. Neat horn and appears to be quite old.
Dick

I’m going with either CD or ED

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 11:46:57 PM »
'C D' makes sense, too. Maybe that is it. The long line running through the initials obscures it, and was it inscribed on purpose or was it done on accident during the use period? Need to see it in hand to actually know.
Dick

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 04:53:03 AM »
There is very little patina in the "E D" initials cuts and heavy cut running through them. With the dark patina on much of the rest of the butt plug's face, I'd guess the initials are a later addition.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2022, 05:33:48 AM »
There is very little patina in the "E D" initials cuts and heavy cut running through them. With the dark patina on much of the rest of the butt plug's face, I'd guess the initials are a later addition.

Shelby Gallien

I’d say probably, but I’ll let the masters at the CLA check it out

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 02:09:54 AM »
It’s Ed’s horn you got there 😉

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 08:52:51 AM »
It’s Ed’s horn you got there 😉

Lol