Author Topic: KRA Moravian CD  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Tom Currie

KRA Moravian CD
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:15:12 AM »
I received today from the KRA the Hardbound bulletins book and 2 CDs . I have only looked through the Moravian rifles CD so far. 10 rifles, excellent photography, I am very impressed. Best $20 I 've spent in a long while. Can't wait to get started looking through the book and other CD. A must have for anyone really interested in these Moravian provenance rifles.  :o

Offline Joe Stein

Re: KRA Moravian CD
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:40:22 AM »
Both CDs are very good.  I wish the first one was in color, like the Moravian CD.  At least they are both done in high definition photography.  You can zoom in really close, or print big blow-ups of the pictures and have great detail without fuzziness.   If you want to build longrifles, or just want to study them, they are definitely worth the money.

-Joe

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:46:23 AM »
Do they include any firearms from the North Carolina Moravians?

Coryjoe

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:35:00 AM »
That sort of depends on whether you agree with Wallace Guslers attribution of RCA 42.
Rifles included are RCA 17, RCA 42, RCA 46, RCA 48, RCA 53, the 2 lion carved rifles, the griffon carved rilfe by Oerter, and a beautiful smoothbore I have only seen before in Shumways longrifle articles Vol 1 page 48. This smoothy has a keyed toeplate I have only seen before on Oerter rifles.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:52:36 AM »
How do you get one?  Need to be a member?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:52:49 AM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 03:07:09 AM »
http://www.kentuckyrifleassociation.org/bulletins.html

Rich, Their website doesnt say specifically there is a Moravian CD,  I ordered the one CD listed and Henry Bishop called me and told me there was a Moravian CD also. I ordered them both.

They have a " contact us " tab . I believe you could contact them from the email address supplied.

You don't have to be a member.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »
I have the original one that I got at the CLA show a couple of years ago.

Ask for the "Moravian CD"...gotcha.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:54:27 AM »
Kentucky Rifle FOUNDATION

Kentucky Rifle Photographs
Vol. I; Issue II

Albrecht I
Albrecht II
Oerter
Oerter II
Dickert
John Graeff
Valentine Beck
William Antes
William Antes II

Great shots of each rifle, about nine for each.
left and right, full length
lock, sideplate, buttstock l & r and underside
entry pipe from underside, views

I'd like to see more angled shots for stock shape, but these are there best there are for sale, that I know of.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 07:14:33 AM »
A little off subject, but I'm thrilled that the KRA has such an interest in contemporary work and education. This isn't a given. The KRA is an antique collectors association. It is , however, sensible. How much information has the gunshop at Williamsburg given us? How much do we learn about the originals from doing it ourselves? The KRA has always allowed contemporary work if it's properly marked and a minority in any display, but I think the CLA has added an even greater impetus to the benefit of both the collector of the originals and the modern creator. I've been a KRA member for decades and owned many nice ones and I applaud the present trend.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
The KRA's primary mission is education, not only for it's own membership, but for the public at large.  That's why they created the recent book, CD's and a program for speakers.  The more the public at large discovers the craftsmanship and beauty of the American Longrifle, the more secure our hobby will be for the future.

Of course another benefit of the books and CD's are the great pictures of Longrifles that are rarely seen by the public, very helpful to the builders.

By the way, there are other books in the works that will knock your socks off when they are published, hopefully in the near future.

Frank Kobilis
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:18:57 PM by Fullstock »

Offline mountainman

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 06:07:26 AM »
Is there a phone number, so that I can order one?

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 12:27:33 AM »
You can get contact information through the Kentucky Rifle Association Web site, or call 770-998-9483, one or the other will get you what you need. 

Frank

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 12:31:42 AM »
Here is the website, but it is not up to date. The Moravian CD is not on the website, but it is currently available. You will have to cruise through the site for the mailing address.

http://www.kentuckyrifleassociation.org/foundation/projects.asp
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.