Author Topic: Joel Ferree, a resurrection.  (Read 7272 times)

Offline 120RIR

Re: Joel Ferree, a resurrection.
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 06:23:23 PM »
It's been fascinating to follow the restoration process and thanks to John for indulging my pin-headed, nit-picky input.  It was a real blast although I have to admit I'm disappointed John didn't add the chrome-tipped LED light tip to the ramrod.   ;)   At this stage of the game, I would like to solicit any information the participants on this forum might have regarding Joel Ferree and his work.  There is of course a fair amount of readily available information out there on Joel and the long line of Ferree gunsmiths but if anyone has any kind of relevant documents, potentially attributable rifles, etc., I would love to hear about it.  Or - your thoughts on how this piece compares to others from the region from the same period, possible influences, etc. I continue trying to extend the rifle's provenance back beyond 1930 when a gentleman by the name of Michael Sturko and his wife bought their home and its contents (apparently including this rifle) on Old Frisbeetown Road, Rural Delivery 6, Lebouf Township, Erie County, Pennsylvania in 1930.  However, I know there are many on this form with research skills and knowledge of Lancaster rifles and possibly Joel Ferree that I do not possess.  Let's see what we can come up with.   

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2022, 06:41:39 PM »
John, what would you estimate is the height of the tapped boss on the dovetailed lug for the end cap?

Kent

Kent, The threaded boss is a little more than 1/8" high, and threaded for about a #8 machine screw.
John
John Robbins

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2022, 06:45:59 PM »
Back from the dead, indeed!  Great work on what is a slender beauty of a rifle!
Jerry

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2022, 07:16:26 PM »
A job well done and a job to be proud of for sure. Another wonderful longrifle saved for future generations to enjoy. Again, job well done, sir.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2022, 09:37:14 PM »
Thank you guys again, for all the fine comments! It's truly appreciated.

I know that some of you also do restoration work, and know what it would be like heading into doing something like this one.
For me, first, the excitement for being able to work on such a wonderful gun! Then how many hours it might take, along with the research, to make sure you get everything as right as possible. Also, talking with others, double checking my thoughts. And then deciding where to start, and how to do it. And finally, being satisfied with the result. 

When the gun was first shown here by Brian (120RIR), the general consensus was it was an early gun, probably pre-Rev War, but just how early? Knowing that Joel Ferree was an early, prominent Lancaster area gun maker, gave a clue. Also knowing that he was tasks with supplying Committee of Safety muskets for the war effort added in as well. After pouring through books, talking to others, I'd think the gun was made 1770-ish. The barrel, as well as other things pointing to that time period. Maybe a bit earlier, maybe a bit later?
So, given all the good knowledgeable minds here, I wonder what you guys think? 

John
John Robbins

Online spgordon

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2022, 09:52:24 PM »
The original of this interesting letter is at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. I'll photograph it in early August when I'm there next.

Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2022, 10:27:09 PM »
Kent, The threaded boss is a little more than 1/8" high, and threaded for about a #8 machine screw.
John

If that 1/8"+ is typical for some of these rifles, I can see why Graeff chose to tap directly into the bottom flat of the barrel in the case of the rifle I have.

The clearance radius in the nose cap for the head of the ramrod, coupled with the thin web of the forestock and the thickness of the cap would preclude the use of a threaded lug inset into the barrel bottom flat.

Thanks John for the info.

Kent
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2022, 10:28:14 PM »
Hey, great, Scott!
Thanks very much for posting that!
John
John Robbins

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2022, 10:40:19 PM »
John

If that 1/8"+ is typical for some of these rifles, I can see why Graeff chose to tap directly into the bottom flat of the barrel in the case of the rifle I have.

The clearance radius in the nose cap for the head of the ramrod, coupled with the thin web of the forestock and the thickness of the cap would preclude the use of a threaded lug inset into the barrel bottom flat.

Thanks John for the info.

Kent

Kent, You're right in that there's not much left to work with up there. The threads on the screw in this rifle are barely 3/16" long.
And I can imagine a lot of broken off fore ends, when removing the barrel, the owner forgot to remove this screw!
John Robbins

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2022, 12:49:19 AM »
I have to wonder if, based on the letter Scott provided, did this upscaling of Ferree's works (and no doubt the shops of other makers) indicate a sole focus on the manufacture of military arms for a period or was he perhaps also engaged in the continued manufacture of guns for the non-military trade during the war?  I would assume he would have at least maintained some civilian clientele but perhaps his operation shifted almost entirely to a war footing like American automobile manufacturers during WWII. 

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2022, 03:55:56 AM »
John,

What are your thoughts as to whether this rifle may be a contemporary of the Miller Blockhouse Rifle or, pre- or postdate that rifle?

Kent
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Online spgordon

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2022, 04:55:19 AM »
did this upscaling of Ferree's works (and no doubt the shops of other makers) indicate a sole focus on the manufacture of military arms for a period or was he perhaps also engaged in the continued manufacture of guns for the non-military trade during the war? 

In November 1775 the revolutionary government of Lancaster County, the county committee of observation, compelled county gunsmiths  to make muskets instead of rifles (full time) until the county quota (500 muskets) was complete, which it wasn't for a very long time. It wasn't, in part, because the gunsmiths didn't comply, as a subcommittee discovered when they made surprise visits to the gunsmiths' homes. But they were supposed to devote themselves solely to musket manufacture.

It seems something similar happened in December 1775 with Joel Ferree and barrel production, though, unlike the gunsmiths being forced to shift from rifle production to musket production, Ferree was willing. Here is the Lancaster County committee of observation's minute from December 11, 1775:

Resolved that tis the Opinion of this Committee that Mr. Joel Ferree immediately proceed to Work & forge Bore & Grind a Number of good Muskets Barrells compleated agreeable to the pattern sent from Philadelphia, the said Mr. Ferree not however to neglect the Barrels by him to be furnished for the County of Philadelphia according to the Contract Made between the Commissioners of said County & himself but to lay by all other Work whatsoever.

Mr Joel Ferree being in Committee & agreeing with Mr. Bowsman, Esq. one of the members of Committee & one of the Commissioners of Lancaster County to furnish as great a Number of good compleat Musket Barrells as he possibly can, finished agreeable to the Philadelphia Pattern at & for the price of Nineteen shillings each—the same to be delivered to the order of William Bowsman, Esq., for & upon account of the said County of Lancaster & also to grind the Musket Barrels forged & Bored by the Workmen in the said County for the use of the Gunsmiths thereof in Order to compleat their Contract with this Board at & for a reasonable price. The said Contract & Agreement are approved of by this Committee.

https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline DaveM

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »

From the December 11, 1865 Lancaster Intelligencer Journal.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2022, 05:42:24 PM »
John,

What are your thoughts as to whether this rifle may be a contemporary of the Miller Blockhouse Rifle or, pre- or postdate that rifle?

Kent

Kent, I think the general consequences is that rifle was made late 1770's/ early 80s', and probably by the nephew Jacob Ferree. Though there might be newer info that I'm not aware of.

Dave M, What an interesting write up on that horn! I wonder where it is today?
John
John
John Robbins

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2022, 08:10:43 PM »
A wonderful post and a job very well done! Thanks for sharing. It is a very nice piece.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2022, 06:10:44 PM »
Thank you Sequatchie Rifle!
The owner is going to pick it up in a couple weeks, so I'm still enjoying it. :D
John
John Robbins

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2022, 06:29:14 PM »
I agree and say thanks for this post. Great information, thanks so much for sharing this work.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2022, 07:19:09 PM »
Thanks, Jim. Much appreciated.
And thanks to the owner as well!
John
John Robbins

Online spgordon

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2022, 09:05:03 PM »
Here's the original of that Joel Ferree letter--in the Historical Society of Pennsylvania (Society Collection).

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2022, 02:25:55 AM »
Scott, Thanks for remembering to take these photographs.
It's interesting to read what was going on with Ferree 247 years ago, while one of his rifles leans in the corner of my room. (well, at least for another couple weeks  ;) )

I assume it safe to believe the letter is in Ferree's hand, since there is no X mark, and signature?
Any idea of the meaning of the BRIG with the wavy line through it, at the top of the address page?

I'm sure Brian 120RIR will enjoy it as well.

John
John Robbins

Online spgordon

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2022, 02:33:49 AM »
I assume it safe to believe the letter is in Ferree's hand, since there is no X mark, and signature?
Any idea of the meaning of the BRIG with the wavy line through it, at the top of the address page?

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is Ferree's handwriting and signature. Sometimes somebody else will hand write a letter for somebody else, even if that person can sign it, but in this case the writing is all the same. It is a very unusually precise handwriting for an eighteenth-century craftsman.

No idea about that "BRIG"! I wonder if that was already on the paper that Ferree was using? Although, the way the letter would have been folded, that may have been on the back flap. But I really have no idea ....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 02:40:46 AM by spgordon »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2022, 02:40:25 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts.
I wondered, given its location when folded, if the BRIG might have been a postmaster seal sort of thing.
John Robbins

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2022, 06:19:24 PM »
Thanks Scott!  A look at the actual letter is revealing for several reasons but since we're often focused on signatures, I wonder if those little return loops present in every instance where a word ends in an "e" or an "L" are unique to Joel Ferree.  In the letter, very few other word-ending letters exhibit this feature and of those exceptions, only inconsistently.  Perhaps this is a stylistic peculiarity of Joel's penmanship and comparable to the extensions on the same letters in his name seen on the rifle in question (plus an identical extension off the "e" in Ferree on RCA 77).  Different design, same concept.   I claim no expertise in period penmanship and calligraphy so maybe it's a common trait of the times.   However, just a thought that might have some relevance in identifying Joel's work and writings in the future.  As for your research, thanks for keeping an eye out and posting these findings as they come up.  Every piece of information like this adds to the broader context of this rifle in particular and to Ferree's work in general; what little appears to have survived.

As for reclaiming the rifle for the long drive north towards Tahoe - hmmm - I dunno'.  We'll see how that goes in a couple of weeks.  It's looking like I might have to sneak it out in the dark of night!   ;)

Offline lexington1

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2022, 08:54:37 PM »
Great job John. I have seen quite a bit of your work. It's always top notch, but this is over the top!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2022, 08:33:29 PM »
Many thanks, Wes!
Hopefully we'll meet up at the Las Vegas show again.
Best Regards, John
John Robbins