Author Topic: Wood/caliber decision  (Read 6512 times)

Offline bender-bending

• Starting Member
Wood/caliber decision
« on: July 25, 2022, 01:12:52 AM »

I’m thinking about doing a dedicated hunting rifle with the kibler woodsrunner kit.

I have one of his colonial kits in .50 and with fancy maple completed.  I had no intentions of using it for hunting at the time I completed it, so I spent ALOT of time finishing it.

I’m thinking I don’t want to see that rifle getting beat up in the woods, and for deer I would rather have a .54 anyway.

I’m looking for advice on the wood choice.  Am I correct in thinking that walnut would be the tougher/better wood choice for a dedicated hunting rifle?  Or would maple be just as tough/durable?

I know that I can’t be the first one asking, but here goes…I’m completely setup for .50 cal, would it be worth it to go with the .54 for deer, or would .50 be fine. 
Really the only thing I would have to do is grab different balls, maybe some patches, so it really doesn’t matter, just want to know if it’s worth the caliber change.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Wood/caliber decision
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 01:32:36 AM »
Plain HARD maple,  don't matter what caliber. I have shot deer with all calibers, from .45 to .62, even a .44 c&b revolver. Deer ain't hard to kill.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bender-bending

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 03:30:15 AM »
Thanks Mike.

The curly maple that Jim offers in the kits would NOT be considered HARD maple, correct?

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 04:21:20 AM »
Thanks Mike.

The curly maple that Jim offers in the kits would NOT be considered HARD maple, correct?
You'll have to ask him. I'm sure he has some good hard maple blanks on hand
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 04:28:33 AM »
Unless used as a pry bar or a club, red maple, cherry, or walnut will serve just fine for a hunting rifle. It would be hard to top a good piece of sugar maple for toughness. It’s used in bowling pins.

Deer shot in the lungs are not hard to kill. But they can cover a lot of ground in 10-20 seconds sometimes after a fatal shot. It’s just part of hunting. I’d never feel under-gunned hunting deer with a .50.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bender-bending

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 04:50:10 AM »
Thank you both for the responses.  So it seems like I’ll stick with a .50 just to keep things simpler for myself.

Regarding the wood, my last post was worded sort of weird.  I just wasn’t sure if the hard maple you were referring to was a different type of maple, than the sugar maple he uses for his maple stocks. 

If I don’t mind beating my colonial up, it sounds like it’d be a good fit for the woods anyway!

The woodsrunner kit just sounds a little “handier” for hunting purposes.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 05:15:44 AM »
If I recall what Jim Kibler has said correctly, most of the highly figured maple he uses is red maple. “Hard” and “sugar” maple refer to the same species of maple.
Andover, Vermont

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 05:34:52 AM »
https://www.wood-database.com/

See physical specs for different tree species here.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 11:05:15 AM »
For hunting purposes, the colonial is best had in .58. If I wanted the woodsrunner I'd go with the .54.. I'm  judging this on the way they handle. All has to do with barrel weight.

Offline bender-bending

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 03:39:43 PM »
For hunting purposes, the colonial is best had in .58. If I wanted the woodsrunner I'd go with the .54.. I'm  judging this on the way they handle. All has to do with barrel weight.

Ahhh, that’s what I had read in the past.  Based on memory I incorrectly thought the caliber was critical for deer.  It was actually the weight/balance of the barrel/rifle with the larger caliber being better for hunting in general.

Thank you for reminding/correcting me!

Thank you for the wood quality link as well.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 03:56:51 PM »
As Mike says above.

For hunting and a given barrel diameter, the one with the biggest hole down it weighs less so better to pack.
Mines a Don Getz .58 and 42".   had it forever and hunted with it and nothing else for years. Hard maple.
Never any problems.
Bore still shines like glass, BTW.

Offline jgraham1

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 05:33:23 PM »
Go with hard maple as suggested and a 54 to 58 bore.  They will handle all your big game needs.  I do use a 45 and 50 for deer, but all my big game are 58 and 62.

Jerry

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 07:31:40 PM by jgraham1 »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 05:38:26 PM »
Half stock,no under barrel rib,one inch 58 caliber stocked like an English sporting rifle with single trigger.
Sights to your preference and don't worry about anyone else.Same goes for the wood.I like walnut.
Bob Roller

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 07:25:40 PM »
Guess as usual I have to go against the flow. I think the new Kibler rifle cries out to be done in Black Walnut. Very period correct and I just like the look, if you are going for a hunting or "working" rifle. As to the caliber I would go with .54 caliber. Besides it's fun to outfit a new gun with its own bag, horn and all the rest of the accruements.
Best of luck,
"Muskrat" Mike
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 08:38:32 PM »
We mostly use red maple.   We do try to select this for hardness, however.  We sometimes have sugar maple available.  We are just unloading a kiln with a good bit of this today.  We also just cut a couple of sugar maple logs last week. 

If you are interested in a sugar maple blank, let us know and we'll likely be able to help.

Thanks

Offline bender-bending

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2022, 12:38:32 AM »
Thanks everyone, and thanks Jim!

I confused the $#*! out of myself with my own thread. 

So apparently what I prefer(look/feel) is the standard red maple.  I just didn’t realize it was so tough. 
I enjoyed working with it on the colonial kit, so I think I’ll do it again for the woodsrunner.

Now when the kibler trade gun kit comes out…..that I’ll be doing in walnut!

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2022, 03:36:29 PM »
I ordered a Woodsrunner in Maple, mostly because that is what the original is thought to be. The second reason was because I want one rifle with some curl. When the trade rifle comes out I will also chose walnut. Better stock up Mr. Kibler!

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2022, 03:45:20 PM »
Kibler is coming out with a trade gun? I suppose he'll have the prototype at the upcoming CLA.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 04:09:25 PM »
Kibler is coming out with a trade gun? I suppose he'll have the prototype at the upcoming CLA.

I've been accused of liking to poke, but I think you have me beat! ;D

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 04:18:37 PM »

I never turn down a chance to get a good rumor started. :P

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 05:36:36 PM »

Is it true that we will see a Hawken in beech?

Offline jgraham1

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 05:46:48 PM »

Is it true that we will see a Hawken in beech?

Didn't you all hear about this?  Kibley has truckloads of Trade Guns and Hawkens already to go.  He is just waiting waiting for the right moment to release them!!!  I have not heard about his percussion locks being available, or any left-hand locks, but I am sure someone can start that rumor also.   :)

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 06:01:59 PM »
I definitely saw a pile of percussion locks next to a small CNC machine in small room during the workshop the open house when these two people came out of the door.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2022, 06:29:58 PM »
@!*% I hate to see my face.  I look like such a scowling shithead.  Now Katherine's lovely face is a different story!

Offline heinz

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2022, 06:50:11 PM »
Jim, I fully agree.
kind regards, heinz