Author Topic: Jericho  (Read 3373 times)

Offline northup87

Jericho
« on: October 28, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »
Ok, Im on my way to finishing up my first completed build, and I want criticism and ideas on this trigger guard. It is mounted on a southern style longrifle with a  45. cal smooth bore barrel that is 60 inches long, handmade iron mounted furniture throughout... Bare in mind nothing is browned properly and or finished this is more a question, were Im looking for criticisms and idea on the grace and flow of the wristline... Thanks A.J.D IV

A.J. Downey

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Jericho
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »
Forgive me, because I don't know Southern guns, but that don't keep me from posting.. ;D

The only criticism I have is that the edges of the guard at the trigger bow seem too thick. This is a klunky look on an otherwise spectacular racehorse of a gun. File them edges down to bring the guard to the level of sophistication that the stock has.

@!*%, weeze gonna have ta rename this site the ASLR, or "American Southern Longrifles"

Tiom
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:56:49 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

eagle24

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 07:15:46 PM »
Soddy Daisy Tennessee Cool!!!  I like your rifle and the wrist looks great to me.  I think the trigger guard is great!  The combination of the curl on the trigger guard (inside the bow) and the decorative trigger, is a little "busy" to me and seems to draw my eye away from the rest of the rifle.  If it were mine, I would file the back of the trigger straight and maybe take some of the curl off to tone it down.  Don't listen to me though, I'm a rookie.  I really like the side plate inlays.  Really cool touch!  Heck Yea!  I'd be proud to carry that rifle.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
Very cool rifle! I think the trigger looks a little too busy too, and the bow too thick as Acer said.
What grabbed me was the third lock bolt...or not. Obviously it doesn't go into the lock, but maybe it's his trigger pivot? No, it is just another teardrop holder, eh?
Nice accent anyway!
Tom C.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »
I agree that the rifle has a great deal of merrit.  I'd love to see a full length pic - 60 " barrel - WOW!!
To expand on Acer's post, the guard looks flat and thick.  That needs filing, giving the flat steel a convex surface on at least one side, perhaps both.  Then from the profile view, the guard will look fine and delicate, when in fact it is robust and strong.  It is likely too late now, but the spur on the butt end of the rail would look better to my eye if it flared rather than remain parallel to the rest of the rail.
There southern guns are really starting to get me turned on.  Thanks for posting your pictures.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:41:48 PM »
Looks great, but I would lose either the fancy trikker, or the curl on the bow, one or the other, as it seems a bit much for such a simple Soddy style.  I would vote for a straight pin style trikker.  I also vote for a full length picture.  Hey, Acer, isn't it about time you built one, say with a 61 inch barrel ;D ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

caliber45

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »
Hey, AJDIV -- Just my two cents worth. I agree with others that the triggerguard bow needs beveling on the edges. It appears that the front of the bow isn't bent in a smooth, flowing curve -- but that may just be because of the need for beveling. Were it me, I'd bury the back anchor of the guard extension a bit and bring the extension itself up against the wrist all the way back. Just me. Beautiful work on the stock, incidentally. -- paulallen, tucson

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:45:00 AM »
Great look!  Nice East Tennessee lines!  Love that long tang and smithed out guard!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline LynnC

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 05:12:54 AM »
Yeah - Slim at least the lower 2/3 of the trigger and the edges of the guard.

COOL SMOOTH RIFLE - Full length pics please  8)
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......