Author Topic: External Threads on a Screw tip Horn  (Read 7470 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
External Threads on a Screw tip Horn
« on: October 29, 2009, 06:17:12 AM »
Cutting External Threads on a Screw tip Horn
              (credit to Art DeCamp)

During the Conner Prairie Horn class, Art DeCamp  had a simple but ingenious way of solving the problem of ragged, crumbly external threads on a screw tip horn.  In emails since the end of the class we discussed the problem and Art made further suggestions to me, knowing that I wanted to set up my lathe for making more.  He also suggested that I could share his method on ALR and sent me photos that he has used for instruction.  

The methods offered below are modern threading techniques.  Art wished me to stress "that this method is not the authentic "old time" way of chasing threads.  It is a modern expediency that allows 21st century horners to make good threads with tools that are generally available today."

It is my assumption that you are somewhat familiar with lathes.  You should know how to adjust the tool rest and choose the best tool for the cut you are making.  Without this knowledge and also a SLOW turning lathe, you will have difficulty.

The process of preparing to thread a horn neck begins by sawing off the tip.  We will need  .600” for the threaded section (5/8 x11).  We shot for 3/4”  Next we drilled the neck for either ¼” or 5/16” tap.  From here on we will deal with 5/16.   A drill bit #F (.257") is used for 5/16 X18.  (17/64" will work.)   Photo #1 shows the horn tip cut off with the tap.  Turn the tap into the horn and leave the tap in, for the next step.

Photo #1

In this step the 5/16” tap is chucked in the lathe.  The lathe speed needs to be SLOW.  Art’s lathe is variable speed, and he thinks the chuck is turning 80-100 rpm.  (My lathe’s slowest speed is about 800 rpm.  I am working on a reduction in speed to approximate Art’s turning speed.)  

Using a variable speed, we set the control to zero, turned the lathe on, and then adjusted the speed until we were comfortable.  Too fast and you might snap the tap.  This is why Art likes 5/16 x18 over ¼ x 20.  Be very careful not to bump the horn as it spins.  There is a lot flying around.   A bump could mean a broken tap  - big trouble to remove .

The first cutting is to face off the end of the horn tip with a parting tool.  This will give you a clean flat end to the horn.  You have to stop short of the tap.  Once you have faced off the tip at least part way, you can finish this by hand after the tap is removed.

Next turn the part of the horn that will be threaded.  For a 5/8 x 11 thread we turned to a diameter of .600”.  This needs to extend ½ “.  The shoulder behind the threaded part was turned to ¾”  This is somewhat arbitrary based on the horn.  

Photo #2 shows three things to look for:
1.   the faced-off that stops short of the tap
2.   the .600” step for the threads
3.   the ¾” shoulder beyond the threads.

The area beyond the 3/4" shoulder will be cleaned and shaped.  Art starts with a draw knife and works from the tip.  It works fast and very well.

Photo #2

Photo #3 shows the tools used in the threading step.  Notice the threading guide- that looks like a stepped bolt.  The large diameter end is a 5/8 x 11 bolt., matching the die you’re about to use.   The small end is threaded to match the tap you used in threading the tip, probably 5/16.  Screw the 5/16” end into the horn tip.

Photo #3

Photo #4 shows the horn ready to tap.  Thread the die unto the threading guide.  Spin the die up to the horn.  You’ll note that the die spins easily and is oriented to smoothly begin the threading of the horn.  A little lube will help. At Conner we used oil.  At home I use lanoline or Crisco.  

Photo #4

After lubing, turn the die unto the horn.  If the die is sharp, it should cut like butter.  When you reach the shoulder, spin the die off, reverse it and spin the die up to the shoulder with the back side of the die leading.  This step will cut the threads up closer to the shoulder.
Photo #5

That should about do it.  Using the threading guide insures a straight shot at the horn and should leave you with clean, crisp, well formed threads.  Threading guides are fairly easy to make.  I made one for 1/4 to 5/8".  I plan to make one using 5/16 to 5/8" to have a larger, stronger tap.

Threading and fitting the tip is not covered here.  There will be some hand work when doing the final fit.  

My thanks to Art for his instruction during the class and his advice in emails since the class was over.  I claim no credit for this threading advice.  I’m simply the messenger.  Thanks for everything, Art.

Regards.
Larry Pletcher
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:21:28 AM by Larry Pletcher »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Jefferson58

Re: External Threads on a Screw tip Horn
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »
Nice overview Larry. Many thanks to you and Art. This may be a "modern" method, but the results are great, and to me, well worth it.

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »
 Great write up and photo essay.
 One thing that may help; instead of chucking the tap I cut the head off a bolt and use that. For the very reason you stated, the hardened tap will snap easily whereas the bolt will not. BUT the tap breaking off may be a good thing, just be careful.

Tim C.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:01:57 PM »
Thanks ever so much. I can't wait to try it. I especially like the threading guide idea. Do you have any helpful ideas on turning the plug or tip? Thanks again.

brokenflint

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 02:26:33 AM »
thanks Pletch nice how to.  This needs to go in tutorials so we don't loose it for when we need it  :)

Broke

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 04:47:02 AM »
I love this board!  Thanks Larry!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:47:56 PM »
Thanks ever so much. I can't wait to try it. I especially like the threading guide idea. Do you have any helpful ideas on turning the plug or tip? Thanks again.

Hi Nate,
Art's class did have good things to try in straightening up the plug end, getting it ready for a turned plug.   I need to pull together the ideas and photos for that.  Some of what we did can be gotten from Part 1 and 2 of the Conner Prairie topics.    The same is true for making the tip, although much if it is the sequence of things rather than an unusual technique.

I'll  do some thinking on getting something together.  Jeff, I may want to run some of this past you.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 10:47:52 PM »
Larry,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and show this procedure.  Quite fascinating.

Kelhammer

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 03:25:32 AM »
Who has a good source for getting the horns to be worked?  I would like to make a few, but I do not get out much.  Andrew

Jefferson58

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 03:27:06 PM »
Kelhammer:

Try Powder Horns and More and Village Restorations. Both companies have websites, and are great folks to deal with.

http://www.powderhornsandmore.com/

http://www.villagerestorations.com/horns_galore

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Kelhammer

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 11:49:05 PM »
Thanks Jeff the top link looks real promising.   Andy

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »
Good tutorial, Larry.  Remind me in a few weeks or so after everone's seen it and hopefully copied it and I'll attempt to move this to the Tutorial section.  I think this thread should remain within easy reach.