Author Topic: Professional grade Gun Makers vise  (Read 11721 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Professional grade Gun Makers vise
« on: July 31, 2022, 03:23:57 PM »
This Vise known as a Kimball was produced in limited quantities and is impossible to find today. I know three modern gun makers who own and use these with great enthusiasm. I am interviewing current users of this vise for feedback on potential modifications with the expectation of a batch being manufactured. Cost is unknown, but would speculate it would cost two to three times the amount of the pattern makers vise being sold today. Obviously a larger number of units produced will yield a more economical price. This vise features a 360 degree rotation, swiveling jaws, positioning on the workbench and is extreme rigid.  Feedback is encouraged.

Offline Steeltrap

Re: Professional grade Gun Makers vise
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 03:32:15 PM »
Similar to the https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-pattern-maker-s-carving-vise/t30398 The big difference is the vice in your pic has the ability to rotate the piece clockwise\counter clockwise where the Grizzly model, the vice jaws must be loosened, the piece turned, and the jaws retightened.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 03:55:53 PM »
 nifty, I'm in.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 05:58:52 PM »
If a vise can be art, that is art.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 06:26:24 PM »
Yep if it can be rotated around without loosening the jaws or the piece therein, I'd be interested as well.

I'm not 'in the know' on these, so (1) can it rotate around the horizontal plane without piece being loosened, and (2) can it rotate around the vertical plane without the piece being loosened?  Because if both, that's gold Ron, gold!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline bobw

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 06:47:49 PM »
Yup. that’s a vice I could use Ron.  It appears by loosening the square drive at the right it will move in and out, swivel horizontally and vertically.  Like Eric said….I’d be interested if that’s correct.
Bob

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 07:14:40 PM »
I'm interested
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 07:44:57 PM »
I like it!

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 07:54:12 PM »
Here is a post from me some time ago regarding this vise. Having had an opportunity to see and handle one in person I believe it is without equal. Al Lind is near you, Ron, and I think he is still building guns.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=44637.msg560367#msg560367

I would pay dearly for one of these.
Dennis
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:57:34 PM by Dennis Daigger »

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 07:59:12 PM »
The biggest issue with the current widely available pattern maker’s vise is that pressure side to side can loosen the nut that holds the base on the bench. I’m constantly crawling under my bench to tighten the wing nut back up. The other issue is the obtrusive handle that tends to get bumped while working inadvertently loosening the jaws (others have posted work - around for this but I haven’t done it yet).

I would pay up for a better version. The inexpensive flawed version has already proven its worth.
David Shotwell

Offline BruceH

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 08:47:09 PM »
I would be in also.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 09:44:57 PM »
I second the “nifty” I’m in also.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 10:51:44 PM »
There was a company called 'Stew-Mac' that made a version of that vise for working on guitars.  They don't list the vise anymore.  But here are some photos of it:

later, Mike

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 01:31:55 AM »
A friend of mine back in North Dakota has used that vise for close to 30 years for modern stockwork. It is a fantastic vise and I would certainly be interested in one. Years back I studied it pretty closely with the intent to build one, but never got around to it. I can get you his contact info if you need it.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:04:45 AM by 44-henry »

Offline Telgan

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 02:00:57 AM »
Count me in - I'd take 2 if  available
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:48:38 PM by Telgan »

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 02:04:41 AM »
I’m in, Ron.    Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 02:14:57 AM »
These vises have a ball and socket joint the will rotate up/down, side ways and allow the arm on which the vise is mounted to slide in and out to get it closer or farther from the bench. These movements are done by loosening the nut attaching the arm to the base. The tension on the vise jaws doses not change.

Offline StevenV

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 02:34:59 AM »
Ron please put me on your list, I would like one. StevenV

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 02:47:11 AM »
My concern is rigidity given the significant cantilever with the design.  I think this is an aspect often overlooked with vise and workbench construction.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2022, 03:01:09 AM »
My concern is rigidity given the significant cantilever with the design.  I think this is an aspect often overlooked with vise and workbench construction.
Fear not, Jim. That is an issue of how solid and heavy the mounting surface is not the design of the vise which is very robust. Even in a vertical configuration I think Al's vise would have held my weight. I leaned on it hard and could not move it.
Dennis

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2022, 04:09:06 AM »
It’s not whether it can hold your weight, it’s whether you can work vibration free.  The way I built guns by hand, often involved getting after it, especially in the roughing stages.  Again just my thoughts based on looking at the design and considering my experience.  Take it or leave it…

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2022, 04:11:25 AM »
It looks mighty nice.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2022, 08:31:41 PM »
It looks too efficient and easy to use, I need something to fight with and curse at, so I guess I'm good to go.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2022, 08:35:03 PM »
I need something to fight with and curse at, so I guess I'm good to go.
Robby

Isn't that already called a "wife?"
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2022, 08:44:57 PM »
Ron, thank you for NOT putting on a stick-out handle for me to impale my head on three or four times a week.

My one complaint about the current stocking or "sculptors" vise.  Of course, I guess I could quit storing things under the workbench ...
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.