Author Topic: dumb bag question  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Leatherbark

dumb bag question
« on: August 04, 2022, 12:33:46 AM »
I sort of figured a bag with an adjustable buckle you wear with the buckle in the back.  Am I wrong? Does the buckle placement on the bag determine left or right carry or does it not matter?

Bob

Offline Keith Zimmerman

Re: dumb bag question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 02:43:09 AM »
I prefer my buckles in the back.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 03:14:30 AM »
To each his own for this. There is no required way to wear a buckle on civilian gear. I prefer my buckle in front and many historical images show some fellers who agree with me. My preference became obvious to me from deer hunting with my flintlock as a teen. I either had a buckle digging in my back as I sat against a tree or I found myself removing my bag to prevent it.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 03:28:21 AM »
Ironically, Jim and I had this same conversation this afternoon🤔
Remember Paoli!

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 04:28:32 AM »
All of the bags I have are carried on the right hand side. Each has the buckle in the front. Not that I've paid much attention to this on others but think that is how most carry them, but a buckle in the back seems problematic to me.
To answer your original question I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to have it.
Mike
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 06:52:02 AM »
When we were making bags, our standard was to have the buckle in the back, which made it a left hand carry.  Although I am right handed, I like having the bag and horn on my left side.
We did offer the option of having the buckle so it was a right hand carry with the buckle on the back, but very few retail customers ever opted for that.
To the best of my knowledge, the company is still making bags the same way, 16 years later.
But, I agree, it is a personal thing.
I do not like having the buckle in the front, as I usually have a little pocket on the front to carry my powder measure in and also a little brass primer when I shoot flinters.
John (Bigsmoke)

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 08:45:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies and images.  Now I know. I carry my bag on the left and the buckle is in the back. The main reason is that I have my patch cutting knife attached to the wider side which is opposite the buckle. It is good to know that if I change to a right-hand carry, I won't be sneered at because the buckle is in the front. LOL

Bob

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 04:04:50 PM »
As James wisely said, it can be on either side.  Of course, with a James Rogers bag you want that buckle front and center to show off his beautiful handmade buckle art! 

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 02:04:07 PM »
Yeah...what Marcruger said...

I used to stick my buckles in the back only because I was putting my patch knife and starter in the front.

Since you are shooting to enjoy it, do what y'ns wantses.  The question ain't so dumb.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 07:37:39 PM »
A buckle in the front makes a great thing-a-ma-bob to hang your measure and maybe even pick and brush from.  That's where I always hang my measure. Just sayin'.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »
Back in the 80s I recall reading about long hunters always putting the buckle in back to avoid making noise etc. It seemed to be well documented, by Dodridge maybe? I dont remember now. Also some guys wanted the buckle in back so they didn't scratch up their rifles loading them. Just seemed  everyone requested buckles in back, especially reenactors and trekkers etc...I even think many bags likely had their missing or detached straps restored or reattached accordingly.
Tim A.   
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 04:20:42 PM »
I agree with Mike C. about the usefulness of a buckle.  For a personal bag I do not like a buckle at all, but for the bags that I make to sell I almost always include a buckle because I never know who is going to buy it and what length they need it. 

Years ago when I worked at a living history museum we debated if there was a set side that was typically used.  One of the employees had a document that described longhunters wearing bags over their left shoulder.  Which would mean if it is on the left shoulder it is on the right side. 

But I also think that there is no set way to do it.  Same with horns.  Most horns can be worn on either side if made correctly. 

Cory Joe