Author Topic: spotted horn ?  (Read 916 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
spotted horn ?
« on: August 05, 2022, 04:38:43 PM »
I believe I read somewhere about a group of horns called spotted horns. I can't recall where or for that matter if I even did. Does anyone know about them ? Could this be one.  Jim

written in march by william wordsworth analysis
JIM

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: spotted horn ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 05:00:37 PM »
Most spotted horns were Lehigh or Berks horns. 
Check Art DeCamp’s site. He’s one of the best in this style.
I think yours is just a stain of some sort.
Compare Arts and you’ll see what I mean.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Wddeke

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »
  I wonder if the strap was once wrapped around the horn and it left dye stains?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 07:06:08 PM »
Hi Jim, the class of so called 'spotted horns' seems to have been concentrated in the Berks County area. The butt plug usually has a knob and is nicely domed. The stained spots have a 'measles' appearance and usually cover most of the jacket surface. They were done in iron ferric chloride or other chemical. Seems to me that the Rajin Cajun posted some nice photos of a great spotted horn here not too long ago. You can refer to that for comparison. Then, as SP ventured, you can check Art's site and or/book. Like others here, I doubt that this one fits that standard category. It is till a nice horn and seems to have stippled designs. Have you found this to be the case? Thank you for showing it to us.
Dick

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 11:03:53 PM »
Gentlemen, Thank you for your assistance . I thought I was familiar with the Eastern Pa. horns but I missed the spotted part. They are very different spots than these.  Stains of some sort ? Now that I looked at Art's  I remember seeing  and reading about them. Oh well old minds I guess.  Dick, yes there is some kind of punch marks but the horn is so dirty and worn I'm not sure what the design is. Maybe a little soap and water might help.
JIM