Author Topic: How to get started ?  (Read 975 times)

Offline Nessmuck

How to get started ?
« on: August 06, 2022, 05:52:43 PM »
Just wonder how you folks get started in bag making ? Take classes….self taught from you tube ? Have a mentor? I would like to try my hand at it . Iam drawn to the Bark tanned bags. Just some simple tools needed ,I presume? Thanks for any feedback

Online Daniel Coats

Re: How to get started ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 06:19:46 PM »
Buy the best one you can afford to have on hand as an example. Going forward at least you will know what they are supposed to look like.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:49:58 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 07:41:44 PM »
Buy the best one you can afford to have on hand as an example. Going forward at least you will know what they are supposed to look like.

Was glad to fixed by….to Buy…lol

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 07:42:51 PM »
T.C. Albert has a good and affordable book on how to do it. Plenty of great tutorials here too by The Capgun Kid and others.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 08:27:09 PM »
 There is one of Tim's books for sale here:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=72589.0

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 12:22:40 AM »
Hi Nessmuck,

I don't work in braintanned, so you'll have to rely on other skilled makers' advice. 

As far as "just some simple tools needed", I would offer that you need to think about your goal.  If you want to make one primitive bag, then a few simple tools may suffice.  If your goal is to eventually equal James Rogers' work, I would suggest buying some high-quality, strategically selected tools.  Like any craft, buying cheap tools just means a poor product and having to buy better tools in the future.  Cheap tools are not worth the money. 

I just finished bag #51, and am still on a learning curve.  I was just shaking my head this week at the pile of tools I have in three drawers, each tool suiting a specific purpose. 

Also, I know some folks are looking for a "quick" or "one night" fun project.  Nothing wrong with that, but nice leatherwork takes time.  Dyes, oils and finishes need dispersing and curing times....overnight usually for me at each step.  Hand stitching takes a long time too.  Think through the architecture you want and the steps needed to get to the end before cutting leather.  Drafting skills help when making patterns (all of my bags have a unique pattern from poster paper).

I liken bag making to racquetball and bass playing.  It is deceptively easy to get your toes in the water, but one needs a lot of diligent practice and experimenting to get good at it.  I was blessed that my dad worked in leather for many years, and we sold nice leather as a hobby for 32 years at gun shows.  At least I knew what good looked like.  As was suggested above, you need to know what good work looks like, and then figure out how to get there.  I am also thankful to James and others for generous suggestions over the years. 

From my experience selling holsters, one thing I will not tolerate is a bag finish that transfers dye and oil to someone's expensive reenacting and living history clothes.  I look at a lot of bags folks have for sale, and think, "I bet they never considered dye and oil transfer when the buyer sweats on it or gets rained on."  That is why the back of my straps are not dyed dark, and they are sealed, 

One other thing, you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Poor imported leather will result in frustration and a poor product.  Tandy is now importing most of their leather, and while it looks good, it made me tear my hair out trying to get finish to take.  Only buy US hides.  Zack White's in Ramseur, NC is good, but make sure and ask for US hides only.  Wickett and Craig hides are wonderful, but have a price that suits the quality. 

Below is my first ever leather project - Bag #1.  Below that are two more recent bags - a haversack and a "worn-in" shooting pouch.  Between those is a lot of frustration, gritting of teeth, and sticking to it.  Practice practice practice and ask questions.  Like I said, I am a long way from "good" and am still learning.

I am sorry this got so long winded.  I hope it helps a little.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 03:49:03 AM »
Another thumbs up for TC Albert’s book. It provided a great primer. I’d never worked leather at all prior and was able to make a functional bag. There will be more to come.
David Shotwell

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 04:05:34 AM »
Steve Lalioff wrote a good article in one of the "Book of Buckskinning" books. Also there is a video by Ken Scott on pouch making and he teaches a class every fall at Conner Prairie in Indiana. Each person will have a bit different way of doing things. Some techniques will work for you and others not so much. But try to get as much information from top notch makers as you can.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 06:31:49 AM »
Thanks for all the replies !

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 01:49:43 PM »
“Just some simple tools”, yes, but those tools have to work together with the thread and the needles and the leather, etc. I had an interest in sewing (sail repair, rope work) before I ever thought about making a bag. It has been a worthwhile skill to learn, and I only know a little. Like any skill, it takes time and determination.
I’ve been able to repair worn out tool belts, wallets, even my shoes.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 03:18:00 PM »
Nessmuck...we've seen some of your stuff, if I am not mistaken, so you'll wrap your head around this pretty quick..  All I have to contribute to you here is;

-If you intend to work with the supple, softer leathers, then you might want to polish your knife and awl. 

- A fine taper and polishing on an  awl will work far better against the resistance that the softer leathers offer.

- Try not to overthink this.  The Craftsmen you see here in this forum section all understand that the bags back in the day were all made by people who did not have the machine technology and a lot of the retail tools we have today.

-You're gonna make more than one bag.  Buy what you need as you need it rather than burning cash on perception before you start.

-  Yeah, you gotta check out TC Albert and I suppose my own tutorials under..."Every Man A Cobbler"... will help, and you need to keep a close eye on this thread because of so many great craftsmen, but this is a hands on, tactile thing.  Just do it.

- For each project, decide before starting whether you are going to duplicate an historical example, do a free-hand conjectural bag, or just plain wing it for the wilderness and range practicality

Welcome aboard....now, get to work, slacker!

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 03:58:20 PM »
Cap gun Kid….I haven’t made a thing yet…but I did just repair and sew up my Beaver tail wallet ( that I bought ) …if that counts….

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 05:07:25 PM »
It all counts.