Author Topic: Question for Knife makers …  (Read 757 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Question for Knife makers …
« on: August 06, 2022, 07:39:46 PM »
Hi…just looking for a nice ( in the field ) sharpening stone. What do Yinz carry for touching up an edge ? Thanks a lot Ness

Offline Carl Young

Re: Question for Knife makers …
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 10:09:20 PM »
I've used an EzLap diamond rod for close to 50 years. No complaints, USA made (nothing was from china back then  :D).

Regards
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 12:24:57 AM »
Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker.  I have had one for 25 years, and they sharpen serrated blades too.  Wonderful and easy to use tool. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 01:54:47 AM »
 I’d go with the E-Z lap I’ve carried one in my belt pack hunting for over thirty years. The only way to get an easier sharpener for use in the field is if you can get you buddy to sharpen your knife for you.

Hungry Horse

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 07:51:05 PM »
I went on Amazon to check these two out and The EZ lap is 8" overall length is 4 1/2" closed. Solid brass handle unscrews to extend 3 1/2" sharpening rod. Leather belt sheath at around $25. The Spyderco - Tri-Angle White Sharpening Stone with Ultra-Fine-Grit is 7 x 0.5 x 0.5 inches and cost around $22 (no handle). EZ-Lap is a round rod which looks to be 1/4" in diameter. The Spyderco is triangular in shape and is 1/2" on each side which gives you three sides to sharpen you blade on. My choice for price and surface sharpening sides would be the Spyderco but I would buy a coarser grit than ultra-fine for field use.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 01:33:35 AM »
The Spyderco set I have included two coarse and two fine triangular ceramic rods.  The base endures a consistent angle.  The whole kit is about $80.00. Worth every cent to me.