Author Topic: Recent finds  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Molly

Recent finds
« on: August 09, 2022, 05:25:48 AM »
Nice forged knife dug out of a pile of rubble in a falling down snake infested workshop, alone with two fire starter kits.  The smaller is ?? but the larger seems like maybe it is an original.  Flint, metal on a small woven chain and a brass ring(?).  The brass band looks like it was intended to fit on a finger to keep it from getting lost during use.  A small container like this one was uncovered when a friend was putting in a bridge over Escatawba Creek years ago but it was just the case and a flint.   The knife has a small makers make of what looks like a turtle.  Interesting material for the handle.  The small piece of metal is decorated and has the initials "B"  "O" on both sides.

Found an identical "tender box" as the larger one in one of the books I will be selling.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 03:43:44 AM by Molly »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Recent finds
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 08:16:54 AM »
By golly there are still some good old things out there. Nice material and we thank you for showing it to us, Molly.
Dick

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:04:46 AM »
Could the brass finger piece be worn in such a way to protect a finger when striking flint and steel together?

What is it you say is "interesting" about the knive's handle material? Picture quality isn't great but almost looks like quilted maple,,,,, but also looks like bakelite or other early plastic, lol. I suppose that could be my lousy 4am eyes to.... lol

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 01:41:34 AM »
The brass "ring" will certainly fit on the end on a finger.  Here is a better photo of the handle.  Did the "hot needle" test.  Did not seem to have any effect or penetration.  Don't think it is bakelite or "plastic".  But it sure is nice.  Hard to figure a forged blade with a plastic handle.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 01:17:00 PM by Molly »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 09:11:34 AM »
That fire steel on the chain looks exactly like ones made by Myron Carlson, and if it came from Don Stith's collection it could be either the original Myron copied his from or one of the ones Myron made? They thought the ring was meant for a tow or cotton char wick. The rings Myron made were german or nickle silver. 

https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?q=Myron+Carlson
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 02:14:14 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »
The similarities of the two are more than coincidental IMO.  But there are differences.  The box is not brass but rather a ferrous metal.  It hinges on the back, not the sides.  There is a button with a "spring" release similar to that on a patch box.  I think the chain is more delicate and even somewhat refined as it were from a necklace.  The decorations on the steel are the same but this one has the initials B. M. on both sides and no center holes.  The size and shape of the tender holder also differs.  I honestly do feel the box is "old" based on the condition.

Several years ago, while fishing on Escatawba Creek in Allegheny County, VA. the property owner showed us a box that was exactly the same (as I now recall it).  I think the only thing it contained was a single flint.  That item was uncovered when Columbia Gas put a small bridge in over the creek.  He represented it as a small box to hold flints.   We might take another fishing trip and check out his box.  Also, one of the many books I have shows a photo of what would normally be expected to be carried by a frontiersman.  The photo shows a tender box similar in shape and size as this one.

So, how about the knife?  What is the material of the handle?

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 03:48:11 AM »
The brass "ring" will certainly fit on the end on a finger.  Here is a better photo of the handle.  Did the "hot needle" test.  Did not seem to have any effect or penetration.  Don't think it is bakelite or "plastic".  But it sure is nice.  Hard to figure a forged blade with a plastic handle.

Much better image of the handle. Very, very nice.
Quilted maple maybe?

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 04:13:38 AM »
Now I can see that!  Never knew of "quilted maple" but here is a photo I found and the similarity is striking.  As stated the hot needle did not have any effect so I dismissed any "plastic".  So I guess it's a keeper?  Any thoughts on the turtle makers mark?

https://www.cookwoods.com/blogs/articles/quilted-maple

Offline AZshot

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 04:08:56 AM »
I love discovering artifacts.  Out west, it's pretty rare because the East had about a 200 year population jump on the West.  But it's easier to find out here, the ground is usually clear, and something can sit on top for decades.