Author Topic: J. Fleeger with Whitmore & Wolf Lock  (Read 1517 times)

Offline markweston

• Starting Member
J. Fleeger with Whitmore & Wolf Lock
« on: July 21, 2022, 12:17:55 AM »
i have come into a J. Fleeger target rifle. it has a Whitmore & Wolff lock with a broken tumbler and a missing hammer. i am looking to replace both. this appears to have been a flintlock to percussion conversion. any suggestions?
thank you much.

Offline 45-110

Re: J. Fleeger with Whitmore & Wolf Lock
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 01:58:14 AM »
I do not think it was ever flint, and I really like the patch box design.
kw

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 02:26:21 AM »
 hi , a good tig welder should be able to weld a piece of square  stock on the tumbler to repair it. then drill and tap for hammer screw. hammer would need to be hunted down. paul akerman may be able to help you out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 02:33:47 AM »
kw
Agree. Fine looking rifle. 99§ of civilian conversions here were drum and nipple.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 06:07:33 AM »
Gorgeous rifle with Fleeger's usual dynamite patch box. Gun was never flint; the plate is typical percussion. By all means get it repaired and treasure it. Please post full photos of your gun; hard to discern too much from a few specific photos and no overviews. Thank you for sharing your neat rifle with us. Always a joy to see new pieces.
Dick

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 02:36:13 PM »
This would not be a hard repair but a lathe would be needed.I doubt if this rifle was ever a flintlock and that is not a high end lock.Looks like a tumbler with one position which is full cock.
Bob Roller

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 07:58:56 PM »
The rifle was never a flintlock.  Contact me if you can't find a fix for the lock.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 08:03:12 PM »
Making another Hawken trigger today but did come across a tumbler disc left of from my lock making days and the dimensions are shank diameter is 5/16ths,thickness is .234,diameter 1.235 and the support shaft that goes thru the bridle is .141.It is 1144 "Stressproof",easy to work and hardens in oil.IF you can adapt it to this lock I will sell it to you for the cost of postage.I do no repairs on locks unless it's one I made back in the "day".
Bob Roller

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 09:58:52 PM »
I have seen many rifles with Whitmore and Wolffe locks.  They never made a flintlock.  Their operations were in the 1850s and 60s.  I studied them closely
because my ancestor had their locks on most of his rifles.  I can take a closeup
of one of their locks with the internals and hammer if you want?  PM me your email.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 03:36:17 PM »
kw
I wonder WHAT that gun cost as a new item.Superb patch box and I wonder if that Whitmore was a New Yorker or related
to the man that built the Grant Rifle.Who was Wolf?
Bob Roller

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 07:34:54 PM »
Whitmore & Wolff were Pittsburgh Hardware retailers.  Probably imported locks marked with their names.  Here's what their hammers looked like.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 09:08:25 PM »
Good looking lock and I THINK an L&R hammer will work and they have more than one size and I will look at my
collection of parts as well.
Bob Roller

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 09:31:41 PM »
I have an antique original hammer that is very close to shape in Shrecks picture, if not exact, including the engraved decoration.
Can you measure the 'throw' length your rifle needs? Measure from the center of the tumbler hole in the lock plate, to the top of the percussion nipple. My hammer measures right at 1 1/2 inches.
John
John Robbins