Author Topic: Ambrose Lawing- Unicoi County, Tennessee (1871 Warranted for D.M. Hampton)  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
The link should take you to photos of a .38 Caliber 6 foot 3 inch long Upper East Tennessee Long Rifle by Ambrose Lawing.  See interesting note card attached to the rifle for more information.

http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/sequatchie/Ambrose%20Lawing%20for%20Hampton/
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Bill,
Thanks for sharing the pictures.  I really enjoy seeing Ambrose Lawing rifles. All that I have seen have had real nice architecture and good forge work. That's the first I can remember seeing a checkpiece like that.  I love the cleaning rod. Looks to be original to the rifle. Nice find!  
Cheers,
Ken
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:10:49 AM by Ken G »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Neat rifle, Bill.  And you can't beat the provenance!
Wayne Elliott

Offline tom patton

Back in the early 1960's I almost bought an Ambrose Lawing rifle in Johnson City,Tennessee but passed on it because I felt that $300.00 was too much.About the same time I was in the shop of a well known gunsmith and observed him putting an upper  East Tennessee gun to flintlock and saw that it was signed "Ambrose Lawing". As I recall the gun was percussion with no indication that it had ever been flint.I have always wondered as to the present whereabouts of that gun.
Tom Patton

Offline alyce-james

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I also enjoy the Ambrose Loving (Lawing) rifles. I've not seen very many at all. Great picture in GGTSA, page 21. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Bill,
I like the trigger guard, one of the Wallace rifles that we have discussed has the same trigger guard. I had a Wiley Gibson rifle that had the same exact guard also. Interesting rifle.
Buck

Offline Curt J

• member 2
A wonderful rifle with fascinating provenance. Thanks for posting.