Author Topic: Hawken stock repair  (Read 1244 times)

Offline P.C.Child

• Starting Member
Hawken stock repair
« on: August 14, 2022, 08:48:12 PM »
Long story short, I had a Hawken slip from its case and cracked the buttstock near the buttplate. After searching the archives I had settled on a repair where the edges of the break where stained and glued with Elmer's carpenter glue. However, when I disassembled it this morning the piece I expected to fall off is still attached. The break didn't go all the way thru. Not sure How to approach this one now. Stain the edges and pry slightly apart and use a thin CA glue?

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Hawken stock repair
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 09:35:22 PM »
Two longer screws thru the toe plate would help it.
Bob Roller

Offline jgraham1

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 10:34:12 PM »
You can wedge the two pieces slightly apart and shoot the glue in.  Then insert thread in the crack and move it back and forth, and up and down to spread the glue. You can then use a wood screw long enough to clamp both together under the toe plate. Wipe the squeezed out glue off with a damp cloth. It should dry overnight. If the crack is apparent, use a color stick to match the stock color

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:32:09 PM by jgraham1 »

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 09:18:53 PM »
I have used Brownell's liquid accuraglass successfully to repair these repairs in the past.  You can stain the liquid to a color that is nearly invisible to see after it sets us and work down to the surface of the stock.  I put a puddle on one side with the crack facing up and allow gravity to flow the adhesive into the crack.  After a minute or so after applying the liquid I make another puddle along the crack line and use my finger to rub the liquid into the crack.  Then I flip the stock over with the other side of the crack on top and repeat the procedure.  Next, I turn the stock with the toe up and use a screw in an area under the toe plate to pull the two parts tight.  I then let the adhesive dry overnight.  The next day I work the area of the crack down to a smooth surface, stain, an apply finish.  Your crack does now appear to have any wood gone and  should not be visible when the repair is made.  Good luck.
                                                                                                 Roger Sells

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 09:28:51 PM »
For those types of cracks what I have done is taken whatever your favorite brand of wood glue and watered the glue down enough for it to squeeze through a hobby hypodermic needle.

Looking at your pic I'd "shoot" the watered down glue into crack via shoving the needle in the back of the stock, then clamp it, and as Bob Roller suggested use two screws to pull it together.

I'd remove the toe plate and place the two screws under the plate, so once you put the toe plate back you cannot see the repair screws.

"Shove" the glue into the crack until it is coming out "everywhere". Pre-drill your holes for the repair screws, tighten 'em down and wipe off all glue that seeped from the crack.

Likely be much stronger than the original. Just make sure (after you tighten the repair screws) that you have cleaned up all glue that escaped.

Offline kutter

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 05:38:46 AM »
I would tap the piece to knock it free and off of the butt stock.
Once it's off, clear the wood on the inside perimeter of both the broken piece and the butt stock so the piece will sit back down tight around the edges.

Use a decent Epoxy to glue the piece back into place.

Use the Epoxy only on the inside surfaces, keeping it away from the edges so it won't squeeze out.
You don't want Epoxy forming a glue line around the break.

This takes some figuring and small application of glue then press the piece down and pull apart to see how much more you need and where to apply to get as full contact as you can w/o it coming out the edges.

You can use a screw previously located & predrilled to hold the piece in place when glued. But be very careful not to use too much pressure when tightening or the piece will crack.
Also use a pan-head screw,,not a  V-shape counter sink head, for the same reason.

Clamp with rubber bands, rubber surgical tubing works well on the angled pieces.

When the epoxy is cured, remove the clamping bands.
The break line can be further dolled up if needed by flowing in a line of SuperGlue and immedietely sanding the glue into the joint with a fairly course paper like 220grit.
That will scuff up a bit of sanding grit/wood dust and will level & fill any imperfections as well as cure the superglue immedietely by the heat of the sanding.

Go over if needed with a finer grit to blend & remove scratches. The surfaces should be level and any break/crack line gone now.

Then stain if needed to further hide the repair.
This is where the alcohol/sovent stains come in handy.

A very small amt dampened on a Q-tip lightly wiped across the area can blend the colors.
Or a small very soft artist brush is handy for this.
When dry, a wipe down with a small amt of what was the orig finish on the wood completes the repair.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 01:20:57 AM »
Lots of good advice here. I would only add that I wuld drill my pilot holes for two screws while its still attached then break it loose to be glued with the adheisive of choice.  Your not going to have to worry about a slipped alignment this way
Dave Blaisdell

Online 2 shots

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 04:49:45 AM »
  i would add .... you might consider drilling and doweling that butt plate screw. if the is glue [ or hard epoxy]  in it you might "wedge" the crack open again trying to force it in..just a thought