Author Topic: Beat up English Fowler  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Barry Myers

Beat up English Fowler
« on: August 19, 2022, 06:08:09 PM »
I recently acquired a beat up English fowler, single barrel, converted badly to percussion.  I thought that perhaps knowing who may have made it would made it more interesting to continue the rescue.

I say badly converted as the drum was arc welded to the breech plug and barrel after installation.  I assume the threads were exceptional or too hard to create.  Then, in the location where the nipple was to be installed, a grease fitting is located.  Perhaps the restorer know of a different method of ignition.

If I can get the breech plug removed, I will probably replace it.  It is interesting as it has been drilled far back toward the breech.  The drum is perhaps a 1/4" forward of the back of the breech.

Anyway, is there a way to tell from the meager markings that might spark the makers name/time frame from which this gun has traveled?  Maybe a similar lock plate?  I haven't the imagination to place a name into the faint scratches where I think the maker's/lock maker's name would be.

Just a thought. 

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Beat up English Fowler
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 06:29:35 PM »
Looks like a wall hanger in the truest sense of the word. Can't believe the breech is salvageable.
Mark

Offline Barry Myers

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 07:16:40 PM »
Mark, I agree that it is a wall hanger, the breech plug, if I can't get it out will have the drum ground off and a touch hole made.  The lock would have to be replaced to make a good wall hanger.

The proof marks are the standard Birmingham proof marks with the lower mark not stamped level so that the crown didn't make the impression. 

I was wondering about the four little squares stamp forward on the barrel and the "ot" near the proofs.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 07:29:31 PM »
Post 1813 Birmingham barrel proofs. "Twisted" iron, (I'm guessing) barrel.

Mike Brooks and Joe Puelo know more about these old fowlers than most anybody, perhaps they will weigh in.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 07:33:40 PM »
Probably 1820, more or less. Otherwise, not a clue.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Barry Myers

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 09:12:30 PM »
Mr. Brooks, how about the 4 little squares.  Might it be a cross/x?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 10:57:01 PM »
Probably something to do with the barrel maker or filer.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 12:37:34 AM »
What a mess. I agree with Mike. Probably around 1820. That location of the drum is not uncommon. I have a NE percussion rifle with the drum very near the rear of the barrel. The fact is, original breech plugs were often pretty shallow, about half the depth generally recommended today. If I were going to get that plug out I'd put it in my lathe and bore it out, very carefully. There's a good chance you could remove most of the plug without damaging the threads – at least not more than they are already damaged.

It looks as if it may have been a pretty good fowler, with gold bands at the breech and that little square indentation on the breech probably held a gold poincoin with the name of the maker on it.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 05:53:51 AM »
It’s a wall hanger. If it was something rare or special then remarkable efforts could restore it.
Andover, Vermont