Author Topic: Every Man A Cobbler; Reading Leather and Creating Character  (Read 1497 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Every Man A Cobbler; Reading Leather and Creating Character
« on: August 19, 2022, 06:38:13 PM »
Waldomir, my Master Cordwainer at Bethpage Village Restoration, told me in my apprenticeship that finish work is 90% of the appeal in leatherwork.  That’s hard to argue with, especially in Living History where appearance sometimes trumps historical knowledge.  It is all about Patina, Texture and Color.

Maybe 90% of Patina, Texture and Color starts before you cut your patterns.  Here are mostly tips and ideas taught to me by other craftsmen.  Left unto my own devices, I may never have thought of reading a hide, adjusting and blending color and managing texture in my projects by myself.

So, what means it to…”READ”… a hide?  It’s mostly done with leather that has a flower and flesh side, rather than a brain tan or piece where both sides are fleshy and not smooth.

Some guys, particularly those who  carve  leather, will swear by  rubbing down a cowhide with a damp ( NOT soaking ) sponge because it will highlight hard to see flaws, grain idiosyncrasies, brands and marks in general.  I was originally taught to do this with veg tanned cowhide.   I suppose it is possible to try it with other hides.
If you are looking to make a clean looking, evenly colored and bright new bag then by all means do this but be careful to buy only the best quality ( usually the most expensive) hides out there.  After you blaze through places like Tandy, Springfield or Weaver, networking with other leatherworkers and forums will lead you to top quality stuff .

If  looking to antique or just add  character and controlled irregularities, then either buy the economy hide or, better yet, head out to a Rendezvous or Encampment that attracts sutlers.   Sometimes you get a vendor who knows what he is talking about and sometimes you get an entrepreneur who bought a truckload of seconds and dumps them on the blanket…albeit a broad blanket.   The former will often  help and advise you on your upcoming project based on the level of detail you share.

The latter, however, is my favorite.  Many times they will buy a lot number of seconds…leather that won’t make it to retail, or splits or uneven leather that is  scarred and/or splotchy in  coloring.  They may not often know the value of what they carry.  The less they know the more I like it.  They want to move product and I consider it my Christian Duty to help them. This is where you  get hides with the flaws and character you will put into your project. And…it’s all subjective…

Although it does not photograph with the detail seen by the naked eye, take a look at this chunk of economy grade, retail veg tan;

Note the irregularity of arrow point one, the discoloration of arrow point two, and , barely visible, the number five showing through the flower by arrow point three.  These show where you are going to get that…”old friend”…quality in your pouch as they drive where you will place your patterns.  Most guys love that old friend quality.
Now take a look at this hide garnered from the blanket of the guy whom I HOPE will show up at Jacobsburg again this year

The very same flaws that got this piece thrown into the trash can  will guarantee some eye appeal. Arrow one shows some oil spot discoloration.  I love oil spot discoloration.  It means somebody inadvertently  prepped this hide before I even got to it.  Arrow point two shows the ugly marks and surface irregularities which will really add the same kind of look that folks in the 18th century had to work around given what they had on hand.
Again…it’s all subjective…

This is where managing the color of your pouch comes in.    The samples in this piece are all cowhide in various end results of tanning.  Sometimes you pre-dye the pouch before assembly and sometimes you don’t.  That’s a working flow preference.  You read the leather here.

Here is the front panel of a pouch I have yet to assemble.   I tend to use a lot of neatsfoot on my piece before applying dye.  That’s a personal preference.  After one coat of dye on the oiled surface, the irregularities will show up.

Arrow One, at the top of this panel, is what happens over time to the area of the panel where the flap covers it.  Very little fading and, depending on how you work with the pouch, not much wear.  Arrow two, on the other hand, pointing to the added pouch, is where my bags and a lot of samples I have seen get the most abuse.  That convenience pouch is where you put stuff that leaks, where your hand forces it to stretch, where grease migrates to it or where you want to put a little contrast to fancy your eye.
Again and Again, it’s all subjective.

Arrow three…yeah…that’s where you put the pouch down, you pick the pouch up, where it gets roughed and abraded most.  That’ll be where the color starts to give out over time.  No beating up the leather, no manipulating the dye…just placing your pattern to get your effect before assembling the bag.

Underneath arrow two and directly above arrow three…see how irregular the stitching gets compared to the stitching on the left side of the pouch? That’s what’ll happen to any seam when you rub and abuse it enough. My hand tends to come into my pouch by first brushing over the front area of the bag and sweeping backward.  I dunno why.  The way you get that kind of look is to switch from stitching with two needles to tacking with one where you go in and out and then run back over the seam.  It’s the only way I have ever been able to show some wear  effect and still not abuse the seam.   If I had more talent like some of the guys in this forum I would probably do a better job.
Again, Again, Again…it’s all subjective.

PATINA is a word that often gets thrown around in most areas of craft in our sport and hobby.  Unfortunately, I could not get the camera to behave and highlight well here.

Arrow one here could do a better job of showing where it’s a darker patina to simulate where my sleeve and wrist are going to rub across the flap when accessing the bag,  You can see a little bit of shine where I used a soft brush to gussy it up, but the only thing that will get the effect is usage.  Arrow two only slightly shows the area of the bag where the dye turned out almost a full shade lighter that is the original color and area of the bag that does not get a lot of contact.
Now, this bad boy is made out of Rendezvous leather.   It won’t gloss but will shine, and  you can still manage the flaws in the leather to get to the Patina you want.   Work with some 3-4 ounce, 5-6 ounce or maybe 7 ounce veg tan that has a far more pronounced flower side, and  you will ultimately achieve a normal wear that gets the leather looking like glass with rubbing wear.

Once you have read your hide and positioned your patterns,  the most pronounced thing you will do for appearance sake is to manage your dye.  This frustrates a lot of new craftsmen until they learn the technique that the work best with.

Arrow one  is just plain coatings ( maybe two) of Neatsfoot  Oil.  Some guys, particularly holster and scabbard makers, will swear by this stuff and I have never gotten less than pleasing results with it.  On high quality veg tan it’ll give you a patina and rich color before you lay it out in the sun.  On the irregular leather I use here  it’ll bring out a lot of character as a standalone.
Using sheep wool about two  inch square, I don’t take any prisoners when slopping it on.  Over a short amount of time it will even out.  An hour of two in the summer sun and it’ll get glorious.

Arrow Two  shows one coat of dye on oil that is still wet
.  The oil will help spread the dye evenly almost every time with enough attention to your application.  Waldomir could get an even coat of dye using only water, but I never mastered that technique.  Hence the oil.

Arrow Three shows one application of dye without any pre-treatment.  Frustrates the new guys every time  because without reading your leather and prepping it first  the result ranges from ugly to hideous. No matter how much dye you glop on there you will get  unsatisfactory results until you master  your read, prep and application techniques.   You can ruin some really expensive leather that way.

One parting word;  Don’t let inexperience discourage you.  The Masters you see displaying in their posts  will all tell you they had to start somewhere.  Moreover, the first items you come out with can’t be any worse than those from some trapper sitting by the fire who grudgingly worked  with leather back in the day.  They’ll have their own character.
You get better with the help of others, so don’t stop making stuff and please make sure you post it.  That way I get to steal knowledge and ideas, because….it’s all subjective…

Offline jbigley

Re: Every Man A Cobbler; Reading Leather and Creating Character
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 10:24:33 PM »
Hey Kid--Good info. Thanks for posting! --JB

Offline scottmc

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 04:24:29 PM »
Some very good information, kid!  I, too, stained the hard way and got frustrated until one of the "masters" on this group told me about wetting the leather beforehand so it evens out.  What a difference it makes.  I still have a hard time reading the grain and then determining should the grain run up and down or side to side on the pouch.  I never see any discussion about that.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 03:26:10 PM »
Another good addition to this series.
Thank you.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 11:25:58 PM »
I would add that one should never rush the dye and finishing process.  Let each coat of dye, oil or finish dissipate, soak in or cure before going to the next stage. 

As far as neatsfoot oil, I received some good advice from a leather maker.  He wisely pointed out that neatsfoot oil can ruin leather when too much is added.  It turns the leather black, and destroys the body.  That said, I use it on all of my leather creations to restore the natural oils lost in tanning, and to restore flexibility and longevity.  The key he taught was how to apply it.  Fold over a paper towel, add a little neatsfoot oil to the paper towel and squeeze it into the paper towel.  Lightly rub onto the leather a coat of neatsfoot oil in a circular motion.  Watch it, and if the oil soaks in before 3 seconds, you can add another coat.  When it stops soaking in before 3 seconds, stop adding oil.  The leather has taken enough.

The neatsfoot oil will darken the leather a shade or two, but will lighten up a bit once it dissipates into the leather overnight.  Always let it dissipate, and then burnish/buff heavily once done. 

I burnish and buff between each step of leather finishing. 

I hope these suggestions help a bit. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 02:35:54 PM »
From Marc, an interesting take.;

I would add that one should never rush the dye and finishing process.  Let each coat of dye, oil or finish dissipate, soak in or cure before going to the next stage.

As far as neatsfoot oil, I received some good advice from a leather maker.  He wisely pointed out that neatsfoot oil can ruin leather when too much is added.  It turns the leather black, and destroys the body.  That said, I use it on all of my leather creations to restore the natural oils lost in tanning, and to restore flexibility and longevity.  The key he taught was how to apply it.  Fold over a paper towel, add a little neatsfoot oil to the paper towel and squeeze it into the paper towel.  Lightly rub onto the leather a coat of neatsfoot oil in a circular motion.  Watch it, and if the oil soaks in before 3 seconds, you can add another coat.  When it stops soaking in before 3 seconds, stop adding oil.  The leather has taken enough.

The bottom line is to establish your goal and visualize before you start work.  I've never really thought of Neatsfoot as a finish in itself because of dubbin and Mink Oils but now I gotta try it.  Thanks Marcruger

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 04:16:59 PM »
Just to clarify after Capgun's PM to me, when I say too much neatsfoot oil turns leather black, I should have said "very dark". 

Yes, some leather companies, including famous Lawrence, used neatsfoot oil as a finish.  I am sure it protected the leather well, but it also ruined a lot of clothes and belts.  I have some Lawrence products that are still oozing oil mixed with dye 50+ years after manufacturing.  They stay wrapped in paper towels, inside a plastic bag, inside a plastic tub. I can attest that it isn't just the oil, but also some dye comes with it. 

I would not recommend neatsfoot as a top finish.  I use a correct coating of it to preserve and rejuvenate leather after tanning and dye.  My top finish is either Montana Pitch Blend or Tan Kote.  Again, my goal is not to ruin someone's clothes.

I am still learning, and have only made 51 bags, so there is still a lot I do not know.  Just trying to share what has worked for me.   

God Bless, and best wishes,   Marc

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 03:45:59 PM »
I just finished what I believe to be a period correct leather sling for a Jaeger. I went with the recommendation to use the Neats foot oil before staining.
The color came out quite nice. I let the thing hang in the Sun for a day and I'm happy with the color.
You recommended Montana Pitch blend or Tan Kote as a top finish. Would one be better than the other for a sling?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 04:17:28 PM »
Great information, Kid. Thanks for sharing.
 Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 04:58:26 PM »
"You recommended Montana Pitch blend or Tan Kote as a top finish. Would one be better than the other for a sling?"

I am no expert.  I find that Tan Kote seems to be a harder finish with a bit more sheen than Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing (MPB).  Great for holsters and such.  The MPB is a softer, more flexible finish.  MPB can be buffed up to a beautiful semi-matte finish, and is easy to touch up.  You just rub it on (thin coat) with a paper towel, let it harden, and buff.  I believe MPB was developed to help protect and make boots more water resistant.  It is beeswax, mink oil, and a special hardener that is the key.  It is not sticky once it hardens.   Rather it feels more like a wax finish.  The mink oil no doubt adds flexibility and feeds the leather. 

Worth experimenting with each.  My sister has a soft Coach carry bag from Disney.....costly and beautiful bag.  She had scratched it up.  I touched up the dye, and put a coat of MPB on the whole bag.  She loved it.  In this case I most likely would not have used Tan Kote. 

I will note that MPB will darker leather a shade, so you have to account for that when you dye.  Stop two shades lighter than you want.  Neatsfoot oil will darken leather a shade, and so will MPB.  Tan Kote does not darken nearly as much when I have used it. 

As I said, I am just sharing my experience, which is only 50 bags at this point.  Others with much more experience can tell you more.   

Hope this helps.   You might want to ask the Meister James Rogers for his experience.  His knowledge is vast.

God Bless,   Marc

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 02:08:32 PM »
Marcruger is pretty thorough in his assessment.  I judge we are talking about the flower side of cowhide here (?)

You really do have to experiment on scraps of leather, and the quality of the leather tanning will also have its impact.

When I was making holsters I really liked Neatsfoot and a lot of sunlight.

Tan coat will do wonders when you want to keep dye off your weskit from the back of a belt or pouch.

It just keeps going.  And then there's the aromas and smells...

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 04:55:07 PM »
Marc and capgunkid have defined the characteristics of the products well. I would say pitch blend is more a dressing than a finish. Any oils like neatsfoot and olive as well as pastes like mink oil or bear oil and beeswax, etc.are dressings. TanKote, Resolene, the " 'Lacs ", varnishes, mop and glo etc are more true finishes. Something like this is needed if using spirit dyes to help prevent them from bleeding when one sweats, etc. You can oil the leather thru TanKote but Resolene, mop and glo and other acrylics block it so oiling needs to take place prior. When I use any of these finishes, I usually always cut them from full strength. 

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 05:23:25 PM »
I have some Lawrence products that are still oozing oil mixed with dye 50+ years after manufacturing.  They stay wrapped in paper towels, inside a plastic bag, inside a plastic tub. I can attest that it isn't just the oil, but also some dye comes with it. 

Just to emphasize another point opposite what Marc explained above.  I'm sure he was trying to stress the disadvantage of using too much oil and he is correct.  However, as explained to me several times by other masters, that leather has to "breathe" to survive.  Locking them up in plastic and in another container for a long period of will insure your leather will develop mold.  Especially if bagged in a damp environment like in the basement.  Ask me how I know.  My nice leather baseball glove turned into one big place for mold to take hold and even trying to clean and protect didn't help. 
It is okay to protect your leather pieces and stow away someplace, but taking them out and let the air help them will ensure they will survive over the decades.  Storing them in the basement even though they may be climate controlled is not the best place to store them.  Sometimes personal experiences can be a painful lesson. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."