General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Conicals for .54 calibers??

(1/11) > >>

Steeltrap:
I know that most use and prefer a PRB vs a conical, but in my many years of flintlock hunting with a 50 Cal I've always used and preferred the Hornady "Pa. Conical" which frankly....is like a round ball with a "skirt" lead extension. The weight difference between a 50 cal lead ball of 180gr and the heavier Pa Conical of 240gr is (obviously) 60gr. And I prefer the Conical over the PRB for ease of not only loading the first, but I'm a bit quicker loading a second shot as it's just powder and Conical down the tube. And I know that's just my preference. Now, I know they make heavier conicals for the 50 cal, but I have no interest in any of those. (Not an Elk hunter, never will be.)

This heavier 50 conical is about 33% heavier than a lead RB.

So, I have searched to attempt to find a Conical for the .54 caliber with no success. What I'm looking for is one that would have, like the 50 cal, about a 33% weight increase over the traditional .54 cal RB which weighs about 225gr. So I'm looking for a Conical that weights about (225x133%) 300gr.

Anyone know of a source where I could find something close?  I'm not a guy who's going to cast these. Me and hot lead have just never gotten along!! I'm not interested in anything that needs a plastic sabot or anything that has a plastic "skirt" on the bottom. Just a chunk of lead that will obturate upon fire!!

Thanks for any info!

Edit: Does anyone cast the .54 Cal 300gr. Lee real bullet?  For the right price I'm certainly willing to buy 'em.

Daniel Coats:
Have you checked TOW?

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/129/1

smylee grouch:
Just curious if your 54 will shoot a conical as accurate as you want.

MuskratMike:
I posted here last year and found someone who sent me from Buffalo Bullet Company (now out of business) a partial box of .54 caliber 310 grain hollow base conical and a full box of .54 caliber 338 grain 338 grain hollow base hollow nose Maxi-Ball-ets. If these are what you are looking for you might post on the for sale page that you want to buy. I am including pictures of both if this helps. They both shot in my slow twist barrel just fine. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
"Muskrat" Mike

recurve:
look up No Excuses muzzle loader bullets my son uses them for elk Hunting in Co he gets the 485s

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version