Author Topic: About replicas  (Read 3634 times)

holzwurm

About replicas
« on: October 30, 2009, 05:56:42 PM »
about when is the cut off year between antique muzzleloader and replicas and breech loaded rifles? I know there is a written rule (by BATF?) but I can't find it.

Offline Longknife

Re: About replicas
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
 Check out this site under "United States"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique_firearms
Ed Hamberg

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »
Guns made before that date are considered antiques and not subject to regulation/registering, etc.
Guns made from 1898 or after are considered modern firearms.
But, I don't think any muzzleloaders, rifles, pistols, shotguns, old or new, are considered guns by BATF, so are not regulated.

John
John Robbins

jwh1947

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
General information.  The key date is 1898 for BATF record keeping.  Definitely, cartridge firearms dated 1899 or later are considered by the government to be contemporary, and sales must be recorded.  Handguns must be sold or transferred through a dealer only. If a father were to give a pistol to his son or daughter, by law, the transfer must be recorded by a BATF licensee.  Federal regulations do not require any muzzleloader sales to be recorded, regardless of the age of the item.  In most states it is OK to directly hand over a cartridge rifle or shotgun to another person, providing it is all done within that state.  Hope this helps.    

holzwurm

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »
MAny thanks Gentlemen. I'm trying to expalin the details to a lady in Switzerland. I know they have different laws so I'm only using our law as an example

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 08:21:25 AM »
General information.  The key date is 1898 for BATF record keeping.  Definitely, cartridge firearms dated 1899 or later are considered by the government to be contemporary, and sales must be recorded.  Handguns must be sold or transferred through a dealer only. If a father were to give a pistol to his son or daughter, by law, the transfer must be recorded by a BATF licensee.  Federal regulations do not require any muzzleloader sales to be recorded, regardless of the age of the item.  In most states it is OK to directly hand over a cartridge rifle or shotgun to another person, providing it is all done within that state.  Hope this helps.    

There is no Federal prohibition concerning private firearms  transfers.

I can sell any gun I own to anyone I want under Federal law and Montana does not care. This the real thrust of the "gunshow loophole"  the anti's keep whining about they want all firearms sales through dealers so they can get better control of firearms and track them for confiscation.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine