Author Topic: Filing the muzzle to change impact  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Filing the muzzle to change impact
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »
OK, I have a gun almost done.  Doing test firing the last couple of days at short distance, just to make sure everything is copacetic, and I find that it pretty consistently shoots left about 3 inches.  I've already got the rear sight slightly to the right, and the front sight is ever so slightly to the left, and I really don't want to move the sights anymore (plus, it would make me have to shove my face into the stock hard to line up with the off-to-the-right sight, and I can't do that.  The cheekpiece/comb is as far over as it can possibly go).  So, it seems I have two options.  One, bend the barrel.  I have bent a smoothbore barrel once, and can do it, but I would prefer to avoid that procedure.  Two, filing the muzzle, which seems to be the simplest thing to do.  Never done that.  Well, I've cut off muzzles and recrowned them, but not to shift impact.  Now, just so that I make sure I'm doing it the right way, I ask those who have done it, I file off towards the direction I want the ball to go, correct?

;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

omark

Re: Filing the muzzle to change impact
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »
one of my uncles had a 30-06 he was going to rebarrel. before taking the old barrel out, he used a hacksaw and cut the muzzle at different angles, and said he couldn't see any difference.   fwiw  mark

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 12:33:48 AM »
  Bend it Chris. I don't think cutting the muzzle will make up for 3" at short range, and you are taking a chance of losing potential accuracy, not to mention that it may be detrimental to a sale.

Offline chris laubach

• Marietta, Pa
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:41:08 AM »

Just bend it.

Chris Laubach

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:45:55 AM »
So, you think I should bend it???

;D

I can do that.

This is only about 30 feet I'm shooting at, and can imagine that that 3" left will be magnified even more the further out you go.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

brokenflint

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 02:20:21 AM »
OK how do you know how much to bend?  this seems to be a guess and bygosh to me, is there some technique to doing this?

Broke

big AL

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 02:46:06 AM »
about filing muzzles! I would not do it,  find out from the maker if it has been stress relieved <byheat> if not , shoot about 100 rounds , see if it distresses itself. You might to see if there is any side stock pressure . If all else fails bend , gently.