Author Topic: pre-1840 powder horn  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Wmasswolf

pre-1840 powder horn
« on: August 29, 2022, 04:56:11 AM »
I recently found this carved horn. it's about 11" long, and 2¾" wide at the base. it has a small hole on one side. when I removed the base screw, it was a flat bottom (hand made) screw, dating the horn to pre-1840.

Offline jbigley

Re: pre-1840 powder horn
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 06:45:25 AM »
Nice find, Jay. Put it to good use. --JB

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 08:18:15 AM »
It appears to be a very nice New England horn ca. 1800 or earlier. Great color and patina, and I like that it has been used and is a survivor. The domed plug was a little confusing at first, but a closer look shows the horn had been re-plugged a little later in life, still in New England using soft wood, but later using a higher dome than the plug probably originally had. Just another interesting chapter in its story. Nice details in the strap ring with typical NE engrailed edges, and the raised & faceted ring with facets also being a NE detail. Just a very pleasant, wonderfully colored old horn that shows a long, useful, and eventful life.

Shelby Gallien

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 01:53:11 PM »
Outstanding find. Thanks for sharing about the screw in the plug. Knowing less than I’d like, I have wondered whether such screws were first work or indicators of secondary work. This horn has “everything” going for it.
Andover, Vermont

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 03:18:06 PM »
The domed plug was a little confusing at first, but a closer look shows the horn had been re-plugged a little later in life, still in New England using soft wood, but later using a higher dome than the plug probably originally had.

Shelby Gallien

On an educational side; how can you tell the plug has been replaced? Because it is not flat like other New England horns of the time frame, because the horn looks shorter than it should be, because it looks hand carved? It looks like it was none well.

Thanks, Tim

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 07:08:10 PM »
 Wmasswolf,

Thanks for sharing, especially the photos of the details.

A very nice find.

Kevin

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 08:53:13 PM »
Tim,

The telltale evidence of a replaced butt plug is the rim of the horn around the plug. It has an uneven edge with multiple small knife-cut marks, all uneven, which "cleaned up" the shortened end. Also note the unevenness of the current plug nail locations, some back a short distance in the horn body and a few right up on the edge of the horn body. Those details do not match the overall quality of the horn itself, strongly suggesting a later hand was involved in the horn, i.e. replacing its plug. The plug itself, with the many small knife cuts, i.e. "flats," covering its surface, also suggests a replaced plug when compared to the quality of the horn body itself. Lastly, from the probable time/location this horn was made, the high domed plug is not historically correct or in keeping with the rest of the horn body. I fully agree the plug has been in the horn a long time and its patina looks great, but I strongly doubt it was the original plug in the horn.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:23:13 AM by Tanselman »

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 09:10:16 PM »
 Thanks, Tim

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 10:50:00 PM »
interesting info on the plug replacement comments

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 12:39:41 PM »
Very nice and appealing horn.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln