Author Topic: Flint quality  (Read 2081 times)

Offline MuskratMike

Flint quality
« on: September 01, 2022, 12:02:34 AM »
Went to the range today and as bad luck would have it my flint broke. No big deal I always carry two extras in a flint wallet. When I took it out I noticed it seemed very thin, but I used it anyway. 3rd shot and it split horizontally breaking in half. I recently bought 100 flints from a well known and respected dealer. These were two of their flints. When I got home I looked through all of them and found several more that I would classify as "seconds" or rejects as prime quality. Anyone else experiencing this, or was it just a bad day for the 'ol Muskrat?
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Flint quality
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 12:10:16 AM »
Every gun has an ideal flint profile.  When buying a bag of 100, you usually get 20-30 ideal ones.  All the rest are usually too "humpy" and require grinding or modification.  You sell those to others and let them deal with them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline john bohan

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 12:22:23 AM »
as a flintknapper we always said ,when you buy a rock thats all you get, a rock. There is no way to know what flaws may be hiding inside  that stone.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 12:26:45 AM »
When I was really active making flintlocks I imported them from a Flintenschneiderei in Germany.Uniform dimensions are
very useful,even here.
Bob Roller

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 01:34:09 AM »
The flints are French Amber 3/4 x 7/8 and are in a Chambers Late Ketland lock. Not a brand new gun or lock. Just curious with the shortage of everything (including flints) if anyone has noticed an increase of lesser quality in their orders.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 02:59:11 PM »
The flints are French Amber 3/4 x 7/8 and are in a Chambers Late Ketland lock. Not a brand new gun or lock. Just curious with the shortage of everything (including flints) if anyone has noticed an increase of lesser quality in their orders.
One thing about "standards" is they are easy to lower or even start at the bottom and go down ;D ;D.
That seemed to be THE idea when I started making parts for muzzle loading guns but not so much now.
Bob Roller

Offline recurve

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 05:25:25 PM »
  I knap flints and say to persons I "give them to" God makes the rock ,I only shape it .
    With that said I was not happy with the English or French I was buying and forced myself on a long road of learning to knap my own flints ,with 60-80% waist was hard to swallow, but  have been happier with USA chert over the flint from over seas

If you don't all ready pressure flake your edges ,out of the lock ,you flint will last longer(micro flakes) and will safe guard your lock

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 05:38:58 PM by recurve »

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 07:55:45 PM »
Recurve, could you give a brief description of how you do that

Offline john bohan

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 10:04:42 PM »
when I resharpen a flint I take it out of the gun and leave the leather on clamp it in a small vise or even vise grips held in a vise. keep the bevel down,I use a piece of flat copper about 1/16th thick mabey 1/2 inch wide long enouch to hold. File a small step in the end of the copper no more than 1/16 deep,set this step on the edge of the flint and give it a little tap,I use my ball starter. Most of the time all you need to do is sort of make the edge straight. There is a video on youtube for this.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 11:51:33 PM »
The only way I've ever been able to knapp the edge with good results is to flake it in the cock.  I also discovered that scraping the edge with something removes burrs even though it doesn't "sharpen" that edge.  After a couple times doing that I know it's time to tap-tap-tap.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline recurve

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 07:18:57 PM »

I make a pad with leather to hold the flint flat side up, I use the antler tip to remove micro flakes if to hard then use the coper use glasses the flakes go every place and are  super sharp

Union County Muzzleloaders Silohette Shoot   look up vid I'm showing how to do it mid vid >>>->youtube

Offline warren5421

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 04:11:28 PM »
recurve  new guy question?    Where do you get US flint?  All I have read list it as bad to very bad. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 08:18:42 PM »
Knapping the flint is important to restore the sharp edge required to get good sparks out of your frizzen.  But you don't have to knapp the whole edge!!  Often, there is a small round nub that acts like a roller bearing forcing the frizzen to open before the rest of the flint gets a bite of the steel.  Many times, you only have to find and remove that little nub. 
I use a "T" handled tool with a copper "T" and a screw driver blade for the handle.  The copper is heavy and soft enough to deliver the force required to remove a flake in a precise manner.  In operation, I place the lock in half cock, place my right index finger under the flint and use the forward weight of the rifle to lift the cock off the half cock notch but not all the way to full cock.  Now I strike down and back on the edge of the flint with a sharp whack, often starting on a corner.  This will remove a long flake from the bottom of the flint running back all the way to the bottom jaw.  The next flake is struck right next to the first.  The scar from the first flake will make the next flake come off parallel to it.  In this way, go all the way across the flint if that is necessary.  CAUTION.  Do not try to wipe this new edge with your finger no matter how tempted you might be.  It will cut you very deeply.  But again, study the flint's edge carefully first to see if only a small nub needs removing.  This will extend your flint's life.
There are a couple of things other than a dull flint that will cause a misfire.  Your flint must be tightened securely in the jaws of the cock to get good sparks every time.  If the flint can move sideways, it will, and the result will be a hammer fall without ignition.  In some contests/trails, the shooter gets only one hammer fall per station, so attention to one's flint is crucial.  To help avoid this catastrophe, it is helpful to change the flint leather every time you change the flint.  When you install a new flint and leather, the leather is crushed between the steel of the jaws and the glass hard stone.  Every flint has a slightly different shape, and the leather forms to it holding it securely.  Once used, it is unlikely that the leather will hold the next flint as tightly, unless it is changed.  I find the leather from welding gloves' cuffs to be excellent for this job, and dozens can be cut from each cuff.  Your patchbox is an appropriate place to store and carry flints and leathers.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 11:17:15 AM »
I have experienced roughly what MuskratMike is speaking of.  The last time I bought any was at the end of a phone order and it was a spur of the moment thing. 30 or so black english flints. So I was looking them over at home and picked out at least 15 with visible flaws I could see in the flint. So I separated them into hunting flints (best ones), practice flints and flawed flints. Most of the flawed ones broke right off.
I use my flints down to a nub and get a lot of shots out of a single flint. I do a lot like Taylor describes and only knap a portion  of the edge at a time, knapping a little more if I need it. I have in the past found flawed flints in a order but 50% is ridiculous!

To follow up on some of the advice given here; After a sharp flint is secured in the Jaws I take a alcohol soaked pad and wipe the flint edges. Then the pan, the face of the frizzen and under the frizzen, anywhere oil might accumulate and hide. I keep a small bottle of alcohol in my hunting bag.
When just practicing I shoot mostly with a portion of the flint, but when hunting I sharpen the entire edge and set it to where all of it scrapes the frizzen. I think I get better sparks this way.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 06:11:30 PM »
The Isopropyl alcohol is a great idea. The night before a hunt or shoot I wipe the barrel on the inside with a patch wetted in it followed by 1 dry patch. Cleans all oil residue out and quickly dries. I also wipe the pan, frizzen and flint edge with it.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 10:20:44 PM »
When trying to extract multiple shots from single flint, and you don't have time to knap it, I have found wiping the flint and frizzen face between shots with my spit moistened little finger helps reduce the built up burned powder residue that accumulates under the edge of the flint and on the face of the frizzen.  When wiping make sure you place your finger under the bottom surface of the flint and wipe from the cock, or back portion of the flint out toward the frizzen away from the edge of the flint, "Definitely Not" across the edge of the flint. 

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 07:32:03 PM »
I had quite the opposite experience at rendezvous a couple weeks ago. I used this sort of amber coloured flint that came with a new Chambers lock to shoot basically the whole rendezvous.  Probably about 120 shots in my small Siler lock.  It had a perfectly symmetrical shape with 2 perfect edges. I kept moving it forward  in the jaw, knapping it periodically.  When it got too short, I flipped it around and carried on until it got too short. I'd like to know where Jim gets those flints from A++

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2022, 07:54:10 PM »
I had quite the opposite experience at rendezvous a couple weeks ago. I used this sort of amber coloured flint that came with a new Chambers lock to shoot basically the whole rendezvous.  Probably about 120 shots in my small Siler lock.  It had a perfectly symmetrical shape with 2 perfect edges. I kept moving it forward  in the jaw, knapping it periodically.  When it got too short, I flipped it around and carried on until it got too short. I'd like to know where Jim gets those flints from A++
They come from Stonewall Creek Outfitters. I had the same experience and asked Barbie!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 10:38:46 PM »
I just ordered some.  The lady was quite nice on the phone.  They had 5/8 and 7/8, but were temporarily out of 3/4.

Thanks for the tip.

Martin

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2022, 05:38:51 AM »
The reason I wipe my flint edges and other parts of the lock is to remove that last remnant of oil.
I have a regiman I follow when loading a rifle the night before a hunt. My flash in the pan's are nearly zero now.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 07:13:19 PM »
A "Flash in the pan" indicates a blocked touch hole and not a failure of the lock or the flint.I load a flint lock with the vent pick in the hole and withdraw it and prime.This is not an idea that is always useful if a "quick reload" is needed ;D ;D.
Bob Roller