Author Topic: Shooting with vision issues  (Read 2761 times)

Offline recurve

Re: Shooting with vision issues
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »

peep sights ghost sights can help sharpen up the front sight

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2022, 05:46:58 AM »
I have retina issues I receive eye injections every 8 weeks my eyes have not performed well with iron sights . I still shoot my muzzle loaders. Peep sights adjustable aperture sights do help scopes although real vision issues, eye disease  are very hard to overcome most likely my pre disease  shooting will never be what it once was . I no longer hunt  .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline hudson

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2022, 08:22:01 PM »
With floaters they hit me on my way to Friendship some years ago and right in my sighting plain. After a while I found when sighting if I looked one way then back one stayed right there in the way, if looking the other and back they stayed out of the way for the shot. Yes aging eyes I have opened up the notch in the rear sight considerably with good results. Only problem now seems to be dry eyes.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2022, 01:39:57 AM »
The large floaters I had in my right sighting eye have mostly dissipated but sometimes get stuck right in my central vision. I found that if I flick my eye one way just right I can get the floater out of the way to shoot.

Over the last couple months, I've found at the Dr that my field of vision is about half of what I need to legal driving (peripheral is pretty much permanently gone), but my central vision acuity is still 20/15 when I get that floater flicked out of the way. I think it will be another month before my right eye has reabsorbed nearly all the blood from the September hemorrhage, but then it should be fairly clear again. I was having monthly injections in both eyes, but those may no longer be needed. I currently get laser treatments every few weeks to basically cauterize the boundary where my retina is dead. Talk about painful and uncomfortable. The Dr said it may feel like brain freeze after a bit. I told him it was more like a strong electrical shock to the eye socket on ever laser shot. He said oh, well I've never undergone the procedure ...  ::)

When I get my rifle done, I should be able to shoot it just fine with regular iron sights. I'll hopefully have a prognosis on my central vision before Christmas. It depends on how well the medication works. Hopefully, it works. But it is likely a lifetime issue to deal with. As long as I have at least a couple degrees of vision and a ride to the range...