Author Topic: patch read  (Read 983 times)

Offline Sweeney

patch read
« on: September 08, 2022, 10:45:08 PM »
.54 caliber, three shots 60 gr. FFF, two with 70 gr. 38" Rice swamped barrel. Searching for best group/load. Any thoughts on the holes in the 3 0'clock position?

Offline Marcruger

Re: patch read
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 11:06:51 PM »
Those are burn-throughs or the patches were compromised by a sharp spot at the muzzle crown, then blown through. 

You didn't say if the rifling is round-bottomed or not.  Nor did you give the patch thickness.   Those patches look pretty bad. 

To determine the minimum patching to seal, do the math first. 

For a .54 bore, we'll use some sample numbers to get you going.  Like .012" deep square bottom grooves and a .54" bore. 

Bore is .54", + .012 +.012 grooves on each side = .564" to fill with ball and patch. 

Ball is say .530".   Subtract .564 minus .530 and you get .034" of grooves to fill.  Divide by two for each side of the ball, and you get .017" thick patching. 

So.....you'd need a minimum of a .018" thick patch for that combo.  A thicker patch would seal even better with compressed cloth. 

I always shake my head when someone says, "Start with a .010 patch."  Really?   Knowing nothing else, they just throw numbers out there. 

Smooth your muzzle with Daryl's method and that should help with cuts at the muzzle. 

I use The Minute-Men patching by Ron Hite.  Extremely tightly woven canvas.  Cannot see sunlight through it after firing.  I get the UNTREATED stuff versus the teflon coated.  Worth calling an ordering some.  Call in the evening.  Leave him a message if he doesn't pick up.  He doesn't use the internet or email shown.  Just call.

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 10:23:56 PM »
Thanks, Marc. I have been using pocket drill from Jaonn's. Not sure of thickness. I occasionally use heavy denim that does not blow through but is a pain to load. I will try your suggestion.

Offline recurve

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 10:51:01 PM »
you can steel wool or scotch pad the barrel to smooth out the burrs or you can shoot them smooth

Offline ScottH

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 12:53:51 AM »
another possible alternative for shooting patches.

https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/army-duck/10-10-oz-60-inches-wide/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 11:05:46 PM »
Marc's post contained pretty much all the information needed to solve the problem.  I'd be willing to bet $$ that the patches are being cut while being started into the muzzle.  The location of the cuts clearly points this out.  The muzzle crown is too sharp and that's what's preventing you from loading a thicker patch.  Smooth that crown and you'll find loading much easier with thicker material.  Heavily compressed patch material is preferable for radius groove rifling that's up to .016" deep.  But addressing the sharp crown will take care of the patches.  I use the same thick patches in my square cut bores which can run .010" to .012".  All my rifles have had that smoothing treatment.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 03:43:36 PM »
Just smoothed the crown. Shooting again tomorrow. Thanks