Author Topic: Source for files  (Read 1493 times)

Offline GCheatham

• Starting Member
Source for files
« on: September 14, 2022, 04:31:42 AM »
My kit came in and I’m trying to assemble the tools to get started. One of the items I’m having difficulty locating are files. Pretty slim selection at the big box stores locally. Can someone recommend a good online dealer.

Thanks,
Glen

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Source for files
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 09:04:02 AM »
I like Bahco files and I purchased 2 Nicholson files also at the same time. Bahco files are made in Portugal and the Nicholson files were made in Mexico. Before anyone poo-poos them, I've had good luck with both brands which I purchased recently (two months ago). I purchased them from Amazon they both had handles on them and so far, I filed steel, cast iron, brass, and aluminum with great sucess - no issues. About 8 years ago I purchased two lathe files which were made in India, and I have had very good luck with those also. I'm still using those lathe files and they still are doing a FINE job ;)

In this message I said that my Nicholson files were made in Mexico - I was wrong. I was doing some filing with one yesterday and looked at the makers mark and it said it was made in Brazil - it also has the company listed as Crescent.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 07:25:20 PM by P.W.Berkuta »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline JBJ

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 01:48:51 PM »
You might want to check out Zoro Tools. I have purchased files from them such as Simonds, Grobet, and Nicholson. The Grobet and Simonds have been great files, in particular.

J.B.

Offline geb324

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 05:01:02 PM »
McMaster-Carr they have all You need

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 05:48:48 PM »
I used to buy all my files from Jantz Knifes.
I have always used my files for horn making, so I am not sure how they would work on steel or other metals.  Occasionally I used them on wood and that was fine.
John (Bigsmoke)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 06:10:08 PM »
Your rasp and files are going to be the most important tools when you start building.  Don't go cheep!  I bought sets and sets of cheep files from all the large retail stores locally.  As a matter of fact,  I was in a file, rasp and gouge buying frenzy for my first couple builds.   They all sit in a cabinet to be used for making knives now.  After a couple guns,  I have one rasp, a couple hand made gouges and few files that are about all I use.  Stoner Creek gave me a 49 or 50 Nicholson Cabinet rasp that started me into building and I use it a lot.  I'd recommend both sizes.  I'd recommend the Grobet 60° dovetail standard slot sight base file #1 cut from Brownells.  It's a good smooth cutting file that makes nice dovetails.  It's just a good all around file.  I also have two single cut Nicholson files.  One is huge, possibly 14" and the other is about 10".  I bought them off ebay and they can move some metal or almost polish it.  I have a Stihl flat file and and a couple different size Stihl round chainsaw files that I like, a 7/8" rat tail file and a set of cheep needle files.  After 5 guns,  I've had my rasp and large files sharped by Boggs and they are like new.     

Offline GCheatham

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 03:37:57 AM »
Thanks everyone. I’ll go online tomorrow and see if I can get some orders placed.

Glen

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 02:36:48 PM »
While you’re at it, get a file card and use it.   Keep those files cleaned up and the teeth chip free. Also, when they start to get dull, give them a soak in vinegar for a couple of days……sounds dumb, but the acetic acid is just enough to etch the tooth edges enough to extend a files useable life a bit.
Mike Mullins

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 03:22:14 PM »
A piece of plastic laminate like that used on counter tops works better than a file card and you aren't dragging a bunch of hardened steel wires across those file teeth.  The thicker plastic laminate like that used on end caps or purchased as sheet stock works best, but the thinner stuff salvaged from an old counter top will also work.  I cut it into about 1" to 1 1/4" wide strips about 4" long.  A few passes across the teeth will cut appropriate grooves into the plastic and, after that, it is more effective than a file card.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 06:28:26 PM »
A piece of plastic laminate like that used on counter tops works better than a file card and you aren't dragging a bunch of hardened steel wires across those file teeth.  The thicker plastic laminate like that used on end caps or purchased as sheet stock works best, but the thinner stuff salvaged from an old counter top will also work.  I cut it into about 1" to 1 1/4" wide strips about 4" long.  A few passes across the teeth will cut appropriate grooves into the plastic and, after that, it is more effective than a file card.

Very interesting idea.  Care to share a picture ?

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 11:52:19 PM »
Here ya go  :)

I kind of rushed through this and could have done a little better cleaning job.  It works equally well at clearing metal, but cleaning coarse rasps and those with irregular spacing is a bit more challenging.  I sometimes just use a corner.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 02:42:46 AM »
My #1 is the Swiss Vallorbe. I get them from OttoFrei. The swiss engineer is an outstanding quality and there are others such as hand precision etc. . Even the eco range is better than almost anything else.

https://www.ottofrei.com/search?keywords=files#page:7

My #2 spot is corradi. They are Italian made. The Gold precision rasps are very nice as well.

https://www.corradishop.com/
- Aaron C
At the work bench.