Author Topic: black powder solvent  (Read 19548 times)

Offline yip

black powder solvent
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:26:53 AM »
  does anyone know how to make a good black powder solvent ? there has to be a good recipe out there!

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: black powder solvent
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:44:52 AM »
Water is a very good black powder solvent. 

northmn

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:49:41 AM »
Mike Venturino recommended one for BPC.  Use 1 bottle of Amonia free Windex/vinegar to a gallon of water.  I tried the "natural" type and added vinegar.  It works, whether better than water ???.

DP

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:47:27 AM »
1 Quart of water with 3 drops of dishwasher detergent, like Dawn.  All it does is make the water wetter, and does a fine job.  I some times use just plain windshield washer solvent, which is about 80% water with some soap, and 20% alcohol.   Spend your money on Powder, patch, and Ball, or gun parts.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Otter

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:58:37 AM »
Water is the best recipe I've found. It ya feels ya gots to add something to it to make a "mix" just add a drop or two of Dawn to a 1/2 gallon of water.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:51:19 AM »
Terry,

Here is the method I have been using for a while now. This is a quote from the man who is a rifle builder, and reccommends this method to all his customers. I have never cleaned my gun so quickly. No more water, and buckets for me!

"Guys and gals,
there's no reason to neglect a good muzzle loader. In fact, they are very easy to clean. I mix 3 parts Rubbing alcohol, 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide and one part Murphy's Oil Soap as my cleaning solution
For a cap-lock, put a piece of leather or rubber over the nipple and lower the hammer to hold it.
For flinters, stick a tooth pick into the flash hold and close the frizzen to hold it.
Now, pour some of this "3-2-1 mix" into the bore. Enough to fill about 1" of the bore. Stick your finger over the muzzle, and slosh and rotate the gun so the mix totally washes over all the inside. Pour it out. Repeat the same process one more time
Now, for a flinter. pull out the tooth pick and let the gun stand on it's muzzle about 30 seconds or a minute. Uncover the nipple on a cap lock and do the same.
After it drains take soft absorbent cloth and dry the bore. On a cap-lock, remove the nipple and scrub out the flash channel or drum with pipe cleaners too.
Lube the bore (and the nipple threads if it's a cap lock, before you replace the nipple) and you are done
I can clean my flinter faster then I can clean my M-98 Mauser 270 Winchester.
Try it."
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »
Keep in mind that peroxide is an oxidizer and just by itself can cause rusting. Most peroxide sold is normally a 2% or 3% solution, with the other percentage being water. I have read a couple of reports of this stuff causing a glass container to explode due to pressure buildup, so if you insist on using it, make sure to not keep it tightly capped.
Everyone seems to have their own favorite formula for cleaning that, in their mind outperforms all others. I have tried quite a few different solvents with about the same results from most all, but now mostly use windshield washer fluid. It is cheap and it works. What more can you ask?

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
I've had great results with Simple Green cleaner used straight from the spray bottle or mixed 50/50 with water from the concentrate.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »
I mix plain rubbing alcohol about six to one with oil soap.  My gonnes are clean and not rusty with a good shot of WD-40 after cleaning.  Thirty years of experience involved here.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 05:34:54 PM »
Oh yeah, nate,
I forgot about that stuff.  It works really great on complicated locks like wheellocks.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 05:42:40 PM »
Keep in mind that peroxide is an oxidizer and just by itself can cause rusting. Most peroxide sold is normally a 2% or 3% solution, with the other percentage being water. I have read a couple of reports of this stuff causing a glass container to explode due to pressure buildup, so if you insist on using it, make sure to not keep it tightly capped.
Everyone seems to have their own favorite formula for cleaning that, in their mind outperforms all others. I have tried quite a few different solvents with about the same results from most all, but now mostly use windshield washer fluid. It is cheap and it works. What more can you ask?

That is right peroxide is an oxidizer "by itself". I would never use straight peroxide in my barrel, but mixed as stated works wonderful, and is cheap as well.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
Plain ol water.......If I feel like getting fancy, I mix 80% water and 20% simple green and then only because it makes a decent hand cleaner and tells you where all your minor hand cuts are!   Oh yes, and then the other shooters think you know what your doing! :D

Black Hand

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 06:05:19 PM »
Water.....

Potsy

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »
I've used straight rubbing alcohol for years.  That alone could rust one but I don't use it that I don't give the bore a good hosing down with ballistol when I'm done swabbing with the alcohol.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 06:25:40 PM »
 does anyone know how to make a good black powder solvent ? there has to be a good recipe out there!

A little soap and a lot of water. I used to use Windex with vinegar mixed 3 parts water 1 part cleaner. Worked wonderfully. But they have gone "Green" and I think they now have too much vinegar.
The plain old blue window cleaner works well too mixed. A mix of windshield washer fluid works well too.
A lot of soap in not needed. Jut enough to make the water a little wetter. I use oil for patch lube so I like something that has a little soap in it.
Excess soap, like too much dishwashing liquid produces too much subs.  A drop or two in a quart of water is plenty. This the advantage of low foaming cleaners cut with water. The suds are a PITA.
Anything with any soap in it needs a clean water rinse to remove the soap.

Anything more than this is just over thinking the problem. BP fouling sucks up water like a sponge and will liquifiy. Add all sorts of other ingredients, water soluble oil, petroleum distillate etc etc just gets in the way and may actually increase cleaning difficulty.

I wipe mostly dry then dose heavily with WD40 or some other water displacing product. Being sure to shoot some through the vent with the muzzle down. Wipe with one patch then set muzzle down while I clean the lock. Dry patch a time or two then a wet patch with a good protectant gun oil.

Dry patches as the bore dries that come out black are often black iron oxide. If you allow the patches to dry for a few hours this will convert  to red iron oxide and the patches are rusty looking. BP fouling will stay black or grey is the humidity is low enough. Trying to get all the black out is virtually impossible if its iron oxide off the barrel itself.
Simple green at high concentrations it hard on some traditional stock finishes.
Dan
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:09:01 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 04:02:21 AM »
I have never seen one of those negative reports always attributed to that  peroxide/alcohol/oil soap mixture, which I have made and used for a great many years. Would someone be so kind as to post one?   

Not flash rusting now, the explosive circumstances. Certainly this is an item that could be definitively resolved here with our cumulative first-hand knowledges.   

I note that the peroxide, the alcohol and the soap all come tightly capped, with never a sign of leakage of contents that I have seen, and I certainly cap the mason jar I store my mix in with a canning lid and ring tight enough so the mix can be stored on it's side without leaking.     

Lon

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 04:48:49 AM »
I find the water that comes out of the tap to clean quite well enough - getting close to 40 years of straight water cleaning now.  I do mix a bit of soap in if I've used an oil based patch lube, but find even that isn't necessary.   I don't like store-bought solvents for my black powder guns - and see no need or reason to mix concoctions for them either.  I actually only use solvents in the modern guns and make do with 6 different ones, depending on what I'm cleaning and how many shots were fired before cleaning.  Black powder fouling dissolves so nicely with straight water, and since the only fouling buildup is in the 'powder chamber' area with a single shot's fouling in the bore, cleaning is a easy and fast.(water dunk/flush method).  It takes only 6 patches to do a perfect job, leaving a bore that leaves NO marks on a patch wet with water or oil afterwards.  Of course, if a water wet patch is put down the bore after cleaning, drying then WD40'ing has to be done again. With ambient humidity around 50%, WD40 is the only oil needed for preserving the bore until next time.  If it doesn't work, the bore was not cleaned with the flush, then dry, then WD40 flush, method. Works for me.

Dancy

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
Don't know if I didn't get mine clean enough with the water or what, but shot it about a month ago, flushed and swabbed several times with H2O, dried with patches, swabbed and sprayed with WD40, leaned against basement wall. Last weekend checked it and light rust all the way down the bore, swabbed it real good with Ballistol. I will continue to use WD40 as a water displacement, but it is not a good rust preventative for my basement and my location, in the mountains of NC. Think I might try Eezox as a final treatment next time, but will continue to flush with water in the never ending saga of cleaning out blackpowder (ain't it fun though!).

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 11:37:46 PM »
I've always used the three component mixture  I noted above because I've always shot a musket too, thus having a good homemade grease available for patches. Water, or water with a few drops of elixir, just won't cut tallow/BW. I figured If that bore and flash channel was clean, WD-40 would preserve it and it has for me.  Lon

Dancy

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 01:50:25 AM »
Weird how WD40 works so well for some and not for others, I was shooting with Bore Butter, so maybe that had something to do with it. I will be switching to Mink Oil I recently got from TOW and trying some of the other lubes recommended on here as well, bought some original formula GOJO too.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 05:43:03 AM »
If I might make an observation, perhaps it may explain why one system works perfectly for one shooter, and is a disappointment for another.  It concerns the tightness of the patch and jag in the bore.
It is plain to me that there are many who will or can not use a tight patch ball combo in their rifles.  So it stands to reason that they are likely using a jag/cleaning patch combo that is also not tight.  If you don't compress the cloth fully into the grooves, it is not going to clean down to the steel, is it?  Just running a wet patch up and down isn't going to do the job.  I have to use considerable determination and strength to get my rifles clean, because of the tightness of the jag /patch in the bore.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 06:36:24 AM »
That is a very good point! When I made the cleaning jag for my rifle I turned it so it fit snuggly in the bore with 2 patches. I felt I needed the extra material to compress, and expand into the bottom, and sides of the rifleing. Then this all depends on the material you use for cleaning. I guess I have a custom cleaning jag for the material I use.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Dancy

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »
Taylor,

Guilty as charged, I was not using a tight set up for cleaning or shooting. After reading advice on here about shooting tips, I ordered some thicker patches and planned to use them next shooting session, but had not considered that for cleaning too, duh! I will heed your advice and hopefully that fixes the problem, makes me mad to see rust in my almost new Getz barrel!

Thanks,

James

mike e

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »
I don't use a cleaning jag. I cut an oval hole near the end of a hickory rod and pull a large patch thru it. I pull the patch around the end of the rod and twist it so it will fit down the bore in front of the rod. This cleans the breech face better than a jag. I use cold water with a little dish washing detergent. I then oil the bore with any kind of gun oil that is a rust preventative. I make sure the patch is large enough to fit pretty tight in the bore.

Offline RonT

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 05:19:37 PM »
like these....?   I make my rods from splits and plane a slight "swell" on the end.  I do use a small patch. 
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est