Author Topic: Shot my 25 today.  (Read 9526 times)

northmn

Re: Shot my 25 today.
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »
I could not say flint is more reliable, as I have the same issues of an occaisional flash in the pan and the usual no spark when I try to get one more shot out of the flint.  Mine is pretty reliable.  I am using a small L&R Manton type lock as I shoot left handed and it fits the design of the rifle.  The lock is funtioning very quick and sparks very well.  I could not ask more out of a flintlock.  The vent insert has been working well.   I have to replace a flub up in another rifle for deer hunting in a bigger bore.  As to troublesome, the 25 seems to like relatively heavy charges if one considers powder charge to ball weight ratios.  20 grains of 3f is about 80% and my 15 grains of 4f is about 63%.  In a 50 that would be about like 140 grains of 2f (in my opinion only) and 110 of 3f (again my opinion), In Daryls 14 bore that would be about 380 grains of 2f?   All would be substantial and would give fouling problems, which to some extent I am finding in the 25.  Its easier to shoot all day with a target load of 50-70 grains in a 50 than with the heavier charges.  In a 50 I would use a larger vent such as a .070.  If I were to build a percussion 25 or any other small bore I would consider turning the nipple down to take #10 caps as that may offer a "softer" ignition ???

DP

Dancy

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 07:43:45 PM »
OK, any pictures of squirrels assuming room temperature beside of a small caliber longrifle??

John Knaack

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 08:47:02 PM »
I have a 48" .25 and use a cleaning rod to load.  If I ever go hunting I will have to make a brass rod.  Don't trust the .22" diam.  ram rod. 
northmn, I assume you live in MN.  You get some free time I have a few hundred grey squirrels that have been raiding my garden. 

northmn

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »
I have to start over on the 25 sights.  Just ordered a rear sight and will make a 1/8 brass bead.  Still guessing where the top of the silver blade is.  Will either have to switch to better sights or the 12 bore flintlock.   Had to do the same thing for my 54 deer rifle.  The way my luck has been running this year the squirrels raiding your garden would decide to go on a hunger strike about the time I went after them.

DP
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:45:48 AM by northmn »

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 04:55:41 AM »
Since I don't see the rear sights well anymore, I thought I'd like the sight picture of the smoothbore, with a fairly wide blade up front and clean flat at the breech. Trouble is, there is a hazy halo over the rear flat & when I drop the blade down into it and sight on a targets, it's all pretty fuzzy.  Oh well, still see the Express sights fairly well on the big gun and that's the one I rely on for serious work - target or game.

northmn

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »
I will have to try the Express sight.  The ones on my 54 are still pretty fair, but are a 1/8 brass bead so I can see the top and a very large open U in the rear.  In  my case it is sometimes backgrounds that also make a difference.  The silver sight I put on the 25 was a wide one, but just did not stand out well against target backgrounds.  I undercut the front and tried every trick, but generally I have found the brass sight to work best.  The Express sight is still agood idea.

DP