Author Topic: Replacement lock for traditions Kentucky rifle  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Chocktaw Brave

Replacement lock for traditions Kentucky rifle
« on: September 18, 2022, 03:08:46 AM »
I’m using this Traditions Kentucky rifle temporarily until I get my other rifle finished.
It actually shoots pretty accurate, but the lock and trigger are atrocious.
. Does anybody make a replacement that is a little bit better quality? I think with a better trigger and lock I could cut my groups in half.

Or do I need to just hurry up and finish my other rifle.

Offline Dave Marsh

Re: Replacement lock for traditions Kentucky rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 03:55:44 PM »
I would get to work finishing your build and leave this one alone.  My two cents worth. Good luck.
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 04:59:48 PM »
Agree with Dave Marsh. If you want to make that trigger pull better, you may think about moving the trigger pivot point to a better position. Many other threads that discuss this.

Also, you could take a Dremel along with a cotton polishing attachment, apply some FLITZ or other polishing compound and "shine up" all the bearing points of the lock device, along with the sear. I just did this and dropped the trigger pull weigh on a T\C Hawken from over 10-lbs to right a 7-lbs on the single trigger. (Set trigger doesn't count).

Be VERY careful that you don't change the sear angles (unless you know what you're doing) and by all means, DO NOT use a stone!!

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 09:21:13 PM »
Thanks,
Yea I think I’m going to wait for the other rifle. But I do need to take a qualification test next month for a BP hunt application.
Have to hit 4 out of five shots in 8” circle, off hand at 50 yards. Shooting sticks are allowed. I just have to practice using the sticks. I’ve never had them before.
Today’s shooting at 50 yards, on the bench.

And using the sticks.

I just can’t seem to make these pictures upright.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 02:24:40 AM »
Is the shooting stick requirement a Mono?....or a Bi? (2-pc)....or a Tripod?  If they don't tell you...take a Trip-pod. Not much more stable than a good tripod.

Offline APG

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 12:37:27 AM »
I replaced the lock on my Traditions Kentucky with a rpl lock from L&R locks. What a difference. The original lock just wasn't up to the job. Now every pull of thetrigger it shots.There is a single trigger on mine that still could use some work. But I'm happy for now.

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 07:38:53 AM »
I’ll have to look into that, well I took the test and passed but a perfect example  of bad locks,  my flint came loose after the third shot. Had to reset it and tighten it. Next two shots were OK.
Oh and it was raining the day we took the test. And being the only one with a flintlock I was sure worried about keeping it dry. But I was able to.