Author Topic: Flintlock fowler  (Read 1911 times)

Offline ntqlvr1948

Flintlock fowler
« on: September 19, 2022, 12:00:59 AM »
I have this nice fowler probably about 20 gauge with about a 50 inch barrel. No markings on the gun anywhere, The gun is in original flint, and a nice drop to the buttstock. Don't have a clue of possible origin. Any ideas? The ramrod is gone and I would like to get one. Diameter is about 3/8ths of an inch. I got it from  a guy in the northeast about 15 years ago. It looks good on the wall but would look better with a ramrod.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Flintlock fowler
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 12:25:56 AM »
Somewhere in New England. It may have parts of an old Hudson Valley Fowling gun used to stock it up to it's current configuration.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 02:57:26 AM »
Hi,
Hills family of gunsmiths.  Check out pages 73 and 74 in Grinslade's book "Flintlock Fowlers".

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 04:40:36 AM »
Would like to see the sideplate too. Thanks for sharing pictures.
Andover, Vermont

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 05:29:04 AM »
here's the sideplate

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 01:46:45 PM »
The sideplate style also fits the Hills family of New England gunsmiths.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »
That is a nice fowler from what is visible in your photos.

Is it stocked all the way to the muzzle? I'm sure that you have noticed in Grinslade's book that many were converted to militia use in New England, both during and post Rev War, by adding a bayonet lug to the barrel.

Thanks for sharing the piece with us.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 02:19:22 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 04:08:49 PM »
  Thanks for the information. I don't have Grinslade's book. It is stocked all the way with 1 inch of the barrel left over.  This forum has helped me quite a lot.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 05:15:58 PM »
Hi,
Is the muzzle of the barrel filed into a decorative shape or just plain round?

dave

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 05:50:51 PM »
Just plain round

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 10:30:25 PM »
Hi,
I believe it is the product of the Hills family in Goshen in western CT and I also believe it could easily be of Rev War vintage.  Being near the New York border, the Hills' often used curly maple stocks and sometimes Dutch "Hudson River" style trigger guards.  Several Hills' guns shown in Grinslade's book have identical guards and butt plates.  Moreover, the stock design also suggests Hills.  At least 3 of the family were gunsmiths.  The patriarch was Benoni Hills.  He was probably born about 1700 and apprenticed to Ebenezor Pomeroy sometime before 1720.  Benoni died in 1793 so he lived a very long life for the 18th century.  His second son, Medad, was born in 1729, and John came along in 1732.  They established their gun shop in Goshen, CT in 1740 and the boys were apprenticed to their father.  They made fowlers, rifles, and pistols during their long careers.  They also made muskets during the F&I war and Rev War.  The gun business at Goshen grew to employ 28 blacksmiths and gunsmiths during the Rev War and they forged their own locks and barrels.  John and Benoni eventually moved to Winchester, CT and later John moved to Pomfret, Vermont and then Charlotte, VT.  He is the first documented gunsmith in Vermont. Both Medad and John died in 1808.

dave       

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 10:54:18 PM »
ntqlvr

Attached is a link I posted a couple of years ago showing a possible Hills longarm for your reference.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=56254.msg562783#msg562783
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 11:12:15 PM »
 Thanks guys. I am learning a lot from the nice guys on this site. I did buy the gun over 15 years ago from a man in Connecticut who was getting guns from an elderly collector there that was selling his guns off slowly. This gun has had a lot of use as you can see the frizzen has been resurfaced. Somehow I lost touch with him. I bought 5 guns from him. He's probably not around anymore as he was getting old then.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 01:28:55 AM »
Very good looking fowling gun. With a few more photos it would make a great addition to the library. Thanks for showing us your gun.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 01:41:26 AM »
Thanks, I will try to get some better photos and a full length shot. I just bought Grinslade's book on ebay.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 03:50:58 AM »
Is there any carving around the tang ? The use of useable parts and the tang bolt into a threaded nut forward of the trigger certainly is the Hills features. A photo of any carving around tang would be helpful. The Hills really could get “funky” on some of their weapons, I have one they reversed the trigger guard to make it work....!
Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 04:30:57 AM »
Hi, no carving around the tang, and yes there is a square nut forward of the trigger for the tang bolt