Author Topic: JP Beck Octagon to Round Barrel Measurements  (Read 1010 times)

Offline archer829

JP Beck Octagon to Round Barrel Measurements
« on: September 20, 2022, 08:18:16 PM »
Now that I've finished my JP Beck rifle, I'm starting to plan for the next project.

I am hoping to make another JP Beck-styled gun, but with a smooth bore, and I'm wondering if anyone could help with the measurements on any original octagon-to-round Beck barrel.  If you've got any info on barrel length for any original Beck guns, and caliber info, or diameter of the barrel at different points along its length, and would be willing to share this info, that would be great!

Thank you in advance for the help!

Jeff

Offline t.caster

Re: JP Beck Octagon to Round Barrel Measurements
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 05:54:51 PM »
JP Beck used a lot of barrel configurations over his long career, both oct-rnd and octagon. Numerous octagon barrels were smoothbored and from .50 caliber and up, usually 40" to 43" long.

I found one, RCA-99, Oct-round smoothy, 44 3/4" long, .50 cal. and 1 1/8" wide at the breech. It is estimated to be built around 1770-1780 using European furniture.

There is no law against using one of today's popular and common fowler barrels of whatever gage and length you might find useful for what you want to hunt or target shoot. IMHO

Tom C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 06:11:10 PM »
+1 on what Tom said. These guys used what was available, so unless re-creating an original, there’s some freedom.
Andover, Vermont

Offline gusd

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 03:27:33 AM »
Contact Ed Rayl. He made a oct. to rd.
For me. I believe he has an original for
dimensions.
Gus

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 04:10:16 AM »
Hello Archer,
       I built a copy of a Beck smooth rifle that a friend of mine owns.  I tried to build it as near to the original as possible.  I had the barrel made by Ed Rayl, and I would guess that the barrel referenced above are from those I supplied to Ed.   The barrel was 471/2 long, .930 at the breech, .814 12" from the breech, The wedding band was 16" from the breech and the Octagon was .790 at this point the round part was .760   The barrel tapered down to .723 at the muzzle, and was 50 cal.
      I used a Stan Hollenbaugh J.P. Beck lock for the build.  The original lock was 47/8 long and 7/8 wide.  The Whale Tail patchbox was 67/8 long from butt to front.  I have patterns taken from the original box.  The front sight was set 3" back from the muzzle and the rear sight was set 9" forward from the breech.   
      There are photos of this build on my website www.ReCreatingHistory.Com  it is rifle # 16  in the  Contemporary section.
       I hope that this helps with your build,

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard