Author Topic: best and biggest Contemporary Longrifle show?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
best and biggest Contemporary Longrifle show?
« on: September 21, 2022, 05:26:36 PM »
I have always wanted to attend a show. But travel and time off has always not cooperated. I want to get this check off my bucket list.

What is the best show to attend if you only were able to attend one?

thanks

Ken Prather
Galations 2:20

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: best and biggest Contemporary Longrifle show?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 05:44:29 PM »
 I can think of 5 right off but putting one at the top is not easy. You get into location/travel time, time of year, open to the public, what do you hope to see/looking for, etc... I'm not sure if there is a true "Contemporary" only show.

Tim C.

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 05:52:13 PM »
I am interested in the show that most of the builders might attend and am interested in not just contemporary long rifles but the history and the acoutrements, etc. I have been involved in the hobby for a couple decades and have a small collection of long rifles and fowlers.  Living in the Sierra mtns of rural CA (near Yosemite), I don't get out much, but am ready to plan a trip.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 08:13:33 PM »
My impressions

The CLA in Louisville LEXINGTONis the one I would suggest for one who wants to see a lot of makers of guns and accoutrements. I think any CLA member can reserve a table. This one attracts a wide variety of work representing re-creations of guns and accoutrements from a wide geographical range. Some percussion guns too.

The gathering formerly known as Dixon’s; now Kempton in eastern Pennsylvania also has demos and teaching. Vetted artisans can get tables indoors. You’ll see a lot of Pennsylvania longrifles and few Southern Mountain rifles or later percussion guns.

The winter show formerly known as the Lewisburg show will be in Carlisle PA now. It’s for vetted artisans.

Each show attracts different sorts of builders. Some of this is because of location.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:46:42 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 08:26:10 PM »
thank you. I'll set my sights on the Louisville show.

best regards, Ken

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 08:28:52 PM »
There are two shows happening within a week of each other in February 
The CLA mini show (it’s bigger than one might think), and the aforementioned Artisan Show in Carlisle Pa.. These two shows are within a day’s drive of each other.  I’m looking forward to attending both!!
Stop Marxism in America

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 08:30:52 PM »
thank you. I'll set my sights on the Louisville show.

best regards, Ken
That show is held in Lexington. One way to make a Lexington resident mad is to refer to Louisville as Lexington.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 09:39:57 PM »
oops sorry! I have relatives in both towns and should know better.

K

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:47:22 PM »
If you choose the CLA show in Lexington, plan to be there a day early for the Stoner Creek picnic and mini-show; there were ~200? of our kind of people there. A real good twofer one trip.  :D

Hope to meet you there,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Molly

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 10:18:49 PM »
We have not been to any shows billed as "contemporary shows" other than CLA - Lexington.  What I'll call the "regional" shows are a blend of contemporary and original things but all in all they are not very big.  That's not saying they are not quality but those I have attended can easily be covered in an hour or two unless you stop to jaw with people.  Check out the CLA website.

https://www.longrifle.com/

Go across the top to "Gallery" then drop down to see photos and videos.  If you look at photos you need to go at least 3 pages deep to get to the goodies.  The first three pages are just mostly CLA celebrities.

MAS

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 01:14:39 AM »
A show like you are describing was high on my "bucket list" also. This year i saved up and flew to the CLA show in Lexington. I can't imagine any show could be better. It far exceeded my wildest expectations. Gun makers, barrel makers, lock makers, stock makers, bag makers, horn makers, accoutrement makers my the truck load. Easy to fly into (other than the 6 hour layover in Chicago), hotel literally next door with free parking. What could possibly be better? Oh and got to meet lots of people I only knew from ALR.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 02:24:27 AM »
  The Tennessee Long rifle show in Knoxville is one of the best if your into Southern rifles. Another good show is the Lake Cumberland show in February. Both are smaller than the CLA show but both good shows.
Just really depends what you want to see...

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 02:21:28 PM »
Right.  I agree that the Lexington, KY CLA show is sort of the "premier" event of the year.  I have to say I enjoy the spring Knoxville show almost as much.  Great places to see friends and meet new friends.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 05:16:03 AM »
If you choose the CLA show in Lexington, plan to be there a day early for the Stoner Creek picnic and mini-show; there were ~200? of our kind of people there. A real good twofer one trip.  :D

Hope to meet you there,
Carl

I agree entirely, the bbq was amazing and the show just sweetened the experience

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 06:01:14 PM »
ok its on my calendar wish list and submitted for approval.

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 07:36:53 PM »
How early should I reserve a room at the Hyatt Lexington? Do they fill up fast for the Show in August?

thanks, Ken