Author Topic: breech plug removal  (Read 2554 times)

brokenflint

breech plug removal
« on: November 01, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me if they have seen original tools for breech plug removal or marks on originals which indicated possible tools used?

Broke

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: breech plug removal
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »
      A high percentage of original rifles show the effects of using the "wrong" tool or approach to removal of the breechplug.   Many original barrels have the tell tale sign of having been clamped into the checkered jaws of a vise while a frontier repairman used whatever wrench he could fit over the breechplug to turn it out.  The tang is usually turned up on the upper sides from fitting the the wrench over the top and then turning the "Village Smithy" loose on it.
      I have seen some wrenches that have a V shaped jaw in displays of original gunsmith tools.  This V would nicely fit the profile of most breech plug extensions on original rifles and would not have caused damage.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: breech plug removal
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:31:14 PM »
Can anyone tell me if they have seen original tools for breech plug removal or marks on originals which indicated possible tools used?

Broke

Gunsmiths did not usually mark up guns. It was repair work by others that caused problems. Almost anyone could recut, fresh, a barrel but they might not care enough to keep vise tracks off the gun parts in the process.
The tool described by Lucky above is probably the typical plug wrench.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine