Author Topic: Interesting guard on a ????  (Read 863 times)

Offline Molly

Interesting guard on a ????
« on: September 24, 2022, 10:08:58 PM »
Other photos will be posted if anyone things this is worthy of discussion.

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Interesting guard on a ????
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:17:39 PM »
Austrian. It's a perfectly conventional guard for the various "jaeger" variations...rifles made for selected corps of riflemen. This distinction persisted long after true rifles were standard issue, as it did in the US where the shorter versions were called rifles and the longer versions rifle-muskets.

Offline Niall

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 07:22:08 PM »
Molly.

This appears to have originally been an Austrian M1849 'Kammerbusch' rifle for jaeger troops, or else the carbine version, depending on it's length. These are also commonly called 'Garabaldi' rifles. It would have started out with an Augustine tube lock but was converted to percussion in the late 1850's.Most of these conversions were carried out at Liege in Belgium. It only stayed in service for a few years and was superceeded by the much smaller caliber M1854 'Lorenz'  rifle....A lot of these rifles, about 10,000, I think,  ended up in the US where they were imported in the early part of of the ACW to fill the demand for any kind of military firearm. There's plenty of information on these rifles on the internet.....I have an extensive article on these rifles in one of the ACW magazines from a few years back which I can root out if anybody is interested. .........I know this because I acquired one at an auction where nobody much was bothered......I also got a bayonet for it afterwards......Collectors of ACW arms know these guns pretty well.

Niall

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 03:46:35 AM »
Thanks!  I was invited to check in to it by the local historical society.  It was apparent that it was not American due to various proof marks.  I'll give them some feedback and then try to get the true American long rifle off the wall and get some photos.  With the info posted by JV I found several articles and some photos but you info will be a perfect "report" for them.  Stay tuned for what is probably just an ordinary rifle if I can get good photos.

Molly