Author Topic: 48" Rupp barrel????  (Read 6188 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
48" Rupp barrel????
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:05:31 AM »
About 6 months ago, I ordered a custom barrel from a good friend/barrel maker.

I was told it would take about 5 to 6 weeks to complete.

I'm still waiting for that barrel.   None of the normal (commercial) makers can seem to manufacture this barrel for me.

It is taken from the dimensions of the Rupp barrel in RCA.i.e. 48" long 1" @ breech.

Right now, I can even get a response as to when it will be completed.  He"s even stopped returning my calls.
I'm not wanting to step on any toes, but I really need to get this barrel made.

Does any one have an idea who I could get to make this barrel for me??

Any help would be appreciated.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Ezra

Re: 48" Rupp barrel????
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:07:20 AM »
Bobby Hoyt or Ed Rayl

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:50:48 AM »
Ezra,
  I had Ed make me a pistol barrel several years ago, and it was great.  I also have a Bobby Hoyt barrel on a Type G trade gun that I built last year.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to have contact info for either one.

Do you have the info??
In His grip,

Dane

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »
Bobby Hoyt made the Rupp-type barrel for my longrifle, its 46." It took a long time to get it, but its a nice barrel...
Galations 2:20

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:36:15 AM »
Ken,

Do you remember the dimensions, (breech, muzzle, waist) of the barrel??

What is a long time??
In His grip,

Dane

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:39:14 AM »
long waits are common.  Some may experience a good delivery time from maker "1" and recommend him, then you may end up waiting 18 months (not at all uncommon).  So many variables.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:40:53 AM »
When you want an odd ball barrel you are going to the bottom of the list for most barrel makers. When it requires  the same amount of time to set up to run an order for 20 barrels as it dose to run only one "Odd ball" size guess which order gets priority. Several of my orders for non standard barrels have taken between a year and a half and two years. If you want it quick, stick with standard size barrels. When you start getting rifle barrel lengths out to 50" or longer the number of barrel makers capable of doing them drops dramatically.

I actually was frustrated enough with the slow delivery time I picked up a custom built boring/rifling machine to make my barrels. The barrel showed up a couple of months before I had my new cutter made. The barrel was actually 51.5" and I was happy to have it finally and never got the machine up and running. But now I wont ever have to wait if I want a special order in a timely manner.  ;)
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Ezra

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 07:29:57 AM »
Ezra,
  I had Ed make me a pistol barrel several years ago, and it was great.  I also have a Bobby Hoyt barrel on a Type G trade gun that I built last year.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to have contact info for either one.

Do you have the info??

Bobby Hoyt
Freischutz Shop
700 Fairfield Station Rd., Fairfield, Pa. 17320
717-642-6696

Ed Rayl
P.O. Box 91
Gassaway WV 26624
304-364-8269

Ez
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:38:33 AM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline rsells

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »
I had Ed Rayl make three custom barrels for me in the past, and he has been spot on when it came to delivery.  I gave him the measurements I needed, and the results were good.  Two of the barrels were cut to match barrel groves in  stocks (one straight tapered and one tapered and flared) and they worked out great.

Roger Sells

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 08:17:51 PM »
Hey Dane, I've got the Cololial Williamsburg Gunsmith video, it shows you how to make one in only a week, most of the cost is only sweat!   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Online Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »
I never expect any less than six months to get anything.  I got a brass barrel from Rayl well over a year from when I ordered it.  I know that these are small operations, and things take time...I know because it takes me time to do things too.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

John Knaack

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »
3 to 6 months is the norm for a custom barrel.  If you get that Rupp barrel faster let me know I will need one in a few months.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »
Smallpatch, I liked Bobby Hoyt a lot. He was really busy at the time. If I recall, my order was about 6 months late from the estimated shipping date. I was waiting for a custom lock too, which was almost as over-due for all sort of reasons that are all real and valid, but that did not make it any easier. I resorted to calling once a week there at the end... This was the second custom order gun I ever bought and the ordeal pretty much swore me off buying another.

I was not the builder (I am not a builder)--- the builder was much more patient than I was, as he knew the reality of custom work better than I did at that time...
If you explain your need to Bobby he will let you know if the timeline is do-able. After that--it is what it is...  I truly appreciate and respect all you builders and parts makers out there...you have to deal with a lot from the customer... but the next gun I buy will not be a custom order... I will buy a pre-made custom gun ready to ship...

Like I always say in my work, "if it werent for the client it would be a pretty good gig...."

as far as dimensions? I dont recall. It was supposed to be a very early Rupp interpretation. Brent Gurtek of Duluth was the builder.  mine was a .45 45.75" long swamped barrel. I seem to recall that the barrel did not have an extreme swamp to it but it is very slim!

Ken
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:41:43 PM by Ken Prather »
Galations 2:20

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 08:48:24 PM »
Bobby made some barrels for me and Rich. They took a long time. This is pretty normal for a custom shop.

Best plan is to have several projects going at once, work on them when you have all the stuff in.

Sorry for your frustration.

There is also Charlie Burton, who can rifle up to 48". All he does is customs. 606 780 7709 Morehead, KY.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.