Author Topic: Building a Jaeger Flintlock Help  (Read 1633 times)

Offline AStahl

• Starting Member
Building a Jaeger Flintlock Help
« on: September 26, 2022, 10:23:38 PM »
Good day. I finally have the time and money to build my own flintlock rifle.  I decided I would like it to be a Jaeger style, preferably 54 caliber, octagonal barrel, 22 inch to 26 inch, but if I have to will settle for a 28 inch. Steel accessories (I am ok with the added weight and it will see alot of field use in heavy brush country) but I am ok with brass. Maple for the wood but I will settle for walnut. Problem is, I am so out of the loop I don't know who makes real quality parts anymore and would have the parts I am envisioning for the build. When my grandfather, Archie Stahl of Bowling Green, KY made flintlocks, he always got his barrels from Bill Large but I know he has passed. Parts were always Bob Roller's but bring a premium now.  Any recommendations? Budget is $1000.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 10:37:48 PM by AStahl »

Online Stoner creek

Re: Building a Jaeger Flintlock Help
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 11:06:03 PM »
Have you considered a Jim Chambers (Edward Marshall) kit? All top quality parts. The barrel is longer than your posting stated but it will be very close to your budget target.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 11:14:00 PM »
I second the Edward Marshall kit from Chambers. For a first build and very close to your target gun/price range.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 11:33:57 PM »
You'll want a swamped barrel and nobody makes one shorter than 30" these days that I know of, unless it is special order, and you'l likely have to wait a YEAR+ for that.
As mentioned, the Edward Marshall would be a good choice. The .54 is pretty thick and could be shortened about 2", but I would confer with Chambers first.
Tom C.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 12:14:51 AM »
The Rice 31” barrel is a good choice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 03:22:21 AM »
The Chambers kit is a good one, but if you opt to build from the plank, contact Ron Scott. He's a member here. He's the go-to guy for Jaeger expertise.
Bob

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »
I built one using a 25-inch Ed Rayl barrel. I was lucky and got it in just three months. It is .61 caliber and weighs 7.25 pounds.
I have shot it with 100 grains of 2f, and it is not unpleasant to shoot. Germans made maple guns as well as fruitwood guns. Admittedly Juglans Regia was the most common.
I haven't quite figured the top load for it, but the bottom load is 85 grains of 2f.
I also made a jaeger using the Rice Edward Marshal 37inch barrel in.58 caliber stocked in maple. That is a great shooting rifle and very pleasant to shoot. However, it weighs 9.25 pounds.
If you are patient, you can build one for your budget and get what you want. Not as many options for hardware in steel but enough to make a good rifle.

The one with the Ed Rayl Barrel.

The one with the Rice barrel.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 03:58:19 PM »
Charles Burton has the profile for a 26 inch long swamped Jaeger barrel that I provided. He has made three of these for me. His business name is FCI barrels. Chris Laubach has make a splendid and authentic Jaeger lock. I have a few custom CNC triggers sets. European Walnut is the most traditional stock material. There are both steel and brass mounts available through Muzzle Loader Builder supply or directly from me. Give me a call at 541-941-0395 if you like.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 04:14:02 AM »
Ron Scott is an excellent resource for all things Jaegers and extremely helpful too.
Just be aware, that it's also a slippery slope, that will quickly make you addicted to the bloody things!.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 02:34:35 PM »
Bill Large is now gone 35 years and I quit lock making in 2019.Ypur grandfather probably got my locks and triggers from Bill Large because I do not remember anyone with his name.There are several excellent suppliers of parts and kits for anything you might need and they are all on this forum.Chambers,Scott,Laubach are top suppliers.If you're in Germany,try Guenter Stifter in Trimbs.Helmut Mohr in Mayen/Hausen was another supplier but I don't know if he is operational now after the flood that hit that area so hard.
Bob Roller

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 03:46:07 PM »
I have a 75 cal Jeager barrel on order from Ed Rayle, can't wait to get it and get started.  I will put everything else on hold once I start on that!

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »
Can anyone tell me if Chris Laubach locks are available anywhere? I have had
 no luck trying to contact him from his web site.

Barry

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 04:15:48 PM »
Chris is gearing up to start another batch of locks. He may be out of his current stock. I'd consider selling one to anyone  purchasing  an exhibition grade walnut stock blank.