General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Painting leather

(1/4) > >>

george kevil:
To the bag makers or leather workers
If any of you use paint on your bags or leather projects what type of paint do you use? I have a plain lid on a bag that I thought I might add some color to. And do you use a sealer over it when dry?
Thank You
George

smallpatch:
George,

Are you trying to change the color of Bambi???

That's a REALLY cool book by the way.

T.C.Albert:
George...I am no expert, but Ive had good success with high quality artists grade acrylics on leather, but oils are a bit more p.c. ... I do think oils would be best, but will take longer to dry, smell worse if you use thinners and linseeds etc...and be much more of a pain to clean up after...

they both cost about the same and can easily run ten, twelve, or even fifteen bucks a tube for the basic crimsons, cobalts, Ivorys and "noir" blacks...my daughter gave me a few hundred dollars worth of her "left over" paints when she graduated her art and design classes at college, and Im still using those...I dont know if the cheaper "craft " grade little bottles of paint would work, but as watered as that stuff is I doubt it and wouldnt try them myself...but good quality air brush paints may be a cheaper alternative?   

Good paint sticks like crazy to leather it seems, as many old bomber jackets seem to attest to...I have generally antiqued my painted creations back some after I paint them,, but never really technically seal them.
TCA

george kevil:
TC
Thanks for your information.I really wasn't sure what to use .  I've seen some things you and Ken Scott have done and I thought I would try the same but on a smaller scale. I'll head on down to the artist store in the morning. Thanks again for your help. And if someone I know that's worried about Bambi would help me post pictures I'll show the results.
George

george kevil:

This is the bag I want to paint on  if I did this right per someones help

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version