Author Topic: Rear sight position  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Chris in SE PA

Rear sight position
« on: September 28, 2022, 08:31:22 PM »
How far forward from the trigger should the rear sight be placed?

I have 1 flintlock that is 14.5" from the trigger and another that is only 8".

Offline rick/pa

Re: Rear sight position
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 08:37:57 PM »
Better to use distance from your eye to rear sight when setting the sight.  As I've grown older my distance to the rear sight has increased by about 3 inches further forward.  Tape your rear sight to the barrel and slide it back and forth until you can see it clearly. Actually you should focus on the front sight to see clearly but the rear sight should be blurry but not to the point you can't line both sights up.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 08:42:45 PM »
Try various distances and see what your eyes like.  It differs from shooter to shooter.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 09:54:20 PM »
If the rifle is to be carried in the field consider avoiding the balance point so it does not poke your hand. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 10:12:55 PM »
On the few guns I made I slid the rear sight along the barrel until it looked good to me and then installed it.On the one long range 451 I used a tang sight that was on a hinge.
Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 03:10:02 AM »
I placed it about 1/2 inch forward of the position it was most clear to factor in " getting older ".  ;) ;D

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 07:48:41 PM »
Have someone hold a newspaper sheet look thru the rear sight then slide the newsprint forward until the print is clear
Do this outside

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 08:47:53 PM »
Another thought....

No matter what you can not focus the rear sight, front sight, and target all a once.  To do that required a pin hol aperature rear sight.  With open sights, you should focus on the front sight.  The rear sight and target should be blurry.  A minimal width notch helps keeping the front sight centered.  A sight further down the barrel may appear better but I found it made my groups larger.  So, I now locate my rear sights about 6 1/2" from the breech.  That gives the longest sight radius possible.  It complies with NMRLA rule 5020.  I am a target shooter.  Shooting in poor light has different requirements.   

If you want to experiment you can glue a temporary sight on the barrel and try it out.  Super glue and accelerator is great for this kind of stuff. 

Offline AZshot

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 09:25:23 PM »
Bear in mind that a closer rear sight's notch will look wider than a further one.  Cut the notch accordingly.

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 03:22:20 PM »
To start, I used a squared of post w/ a sterling silver insert soldered in that has a slight angle on its face for the front sight..the rear sight has a square notch that has generous daylight  w/  the sides of the front post. Seeing I like 6 pieces of meat from each  squirrel, only head hits are   achieved.
The location of the rear sight is done by varying  its distance on the bbl ..it will be a little fuzzy because the eye is focused on the front sight. This combo has killed a whole lot of squirrels and snow shoe rabbits,.Fred
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 03:49:59 PM by flehto »

Offline Chris in SE PA

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2022, 01:15:24 AM »
1st off, thank you again for everyone who helped me with answers.

I decided to measure from my eye out until I could see it clearly.

Offline Chris in SE PA

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 01:17:44 AM »

Here's my front sight. I can't take credit for the idea. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2022, 12:10:12 AM »
If the rifle is to be carried in the field consider avoiding the balance point so it does not poke your hand.
Exactly - either in front or behind your hand in the carry position.
If the rear sight is like this, it can be closer than perfect and still work beautifully for a hunting rifle.
If used specifically for trail walks and other competition, then adjusted for focus would be best,if small V or U notch.
The express sight is the easiest sight to see for older eyes.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 12:13:46 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Birddog6

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2022, 09:10:45 PM »
Put a small refrigerator magnet on the barrel & set the sight on it. Take it outside &
slide it forward til you can see it well.

Pretty soon, my rear sight will be about 6" from the front sight. At that time
I'm gonna chop the barrel off, breech the cutoff & make a pistol. Sights will
already be on it. ;D

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 03:28:58 PM »
As was said above, find the place your hand will carry the rifle balanced, and go in front or in back.  For older eyes, "in front" seems to win.  I am not a rifle builder, but have long wondered how folks who install sights on the barrel early in the build process know where to put them?  Experience I guess.   I had one muzzleloader with the rear sight at the balance point.  What an ongoing annoyance.  Just thinking out loud.  God Bless,   Marc