Author Topic: Gouge edge shape  (Read 859 times)

Offline flatsguide

Gouge edge shape
« on: September 29, 2022, 04:08:25 AM »
How many guys that do carving reshape their gouges to “fingernail” shape like this one I ground...if you do it would be helpful if you could post photos of the shape you use. Do you have a rule of thumb for shaping? Say you have a number 3 gouge do you use a gentle curve as opposed to a number 7 gouge having a greater curve. Curve being like looking down on your fingernail...the thumbnail having a somewhat gentle curve compared to a pinky nail that has a greater curve.
Thanks Richard

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Gouge edge shape
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 10:13:53 PM »
Great for stock removal and direct relief carving. Not so good for stabbing in the outline of an inlet or carving.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 10:29:51 PM »
Very good for stabbing the profile of carving.  The nose makes it more flexible in fitting different curves.  One small drawback is that it’s harder to get full depth at the edges.  This is generally only an issue if approaching something such as an overlapping element.  I sharpen all of my gouges with a slight nose.

Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 10:37:34 PM »
Guess I better polish my technique!
Andover, Vermont

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 04:21:54 AM »
Jim, glad you chimed in, thanks. I’ve been play with a few sharpened that way and I’m finding it more versatile.
Thanks guys
Richard