Author Topic: October Postal Match.  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
October Postal Match.
« on: October 04, 2022, 01:10:29 AM »
Same target as Sept. Same range. But any rest. A chunk rest or bench whatever. 5 shots. If you want shoot it sitting or offhand. Write position on target, caliber and powder charge because.. Why not?

https://targets.s3.amazonaws.com/PDF/Bullseye1.pdf
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

Re: October Postal Match.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 01:28:02 AM »
Looks good to me. I will have to cast balls tomorrow.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 02:35:55 AM »
This might be a great match to check your gun out before hunting season.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 08:54:18 PM »
Looks good to me. I will have to cast balls tomorrow.
Hoping for a bigger turn out.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 12:21:11 AM »
Got the lead pot on right now.
Daryl

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 04:33:58 AM »

Yup...been ready...just have to make time this month.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 01:07:17 AM »
Taylor and I got out today.  Started off really badly, having had to switch to Schuetzen(Wano) 2F. Well, I started with my old load of 2F GOEX, which runs from 82gr. (3 Drams) to 85gr. depending on the measure I use. The accuracy was horrid- could t shoot a group - ran 2 targets with that load, then a target with 90gr., then 95gr., then 100gr., then opened up the measure I won in a 2020 match put on by bobinthewoods. I just measured the 'throw' at 113gr. 2F OE. Finally was able to shoot a decent target but blew a couple shots on my last target of the day, the 7th. All shot without any wiping. I'll wipe the bore as I clean it in 1/2 hour or so.
Load and patch on the targets, same for each., but of course, still a 49/50.
Not a good group - 5 shots in 1.710", but 4 in .694".

Edited - Schuetzen 2F, not OE 2F.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 10:44:20 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 03:00:27 PM »
Nice. You sure its only 2X ?

I hate those fliers that always seem to come up. I have no intention of posting a target somebody else can figure the next match. Somebody will shoot it “clean” or should. Daryl get really close. I set it as a rest match hoping more would join in.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 03:19:11 PM »
I’ll definitely Post a target this weekend

Tony

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 06:29:47 PM »
After I put the non-shot target under it, the top hole also appears to be an X. You are the scorer, Dan.
That low shot was my first shot. The bead on my rifle completely covers the black - hard "sighting" on it.
If we get to shoot it again, I'll try the 200yard leaf and try a 6 o'clock hold. Might work.
Daryl

Offline Jakob

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 06:33:49 PM »
I'll admit that I find rest/bench shooting the least interesting kind. You're testing the gun, not yourself. (Mostly)
I'm also finding the crescent buttplate uncomfortablecon the bench and have yet to a comfortable way to mount it.
Having said that, I do hope to get to the range this weekend and should post a target.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 08:03:50 PM »
It is my opinion that we don't do enough of this type of shooting...it is not as easy as it appears.  And it is a merciless extractor of truth.  When shooting trail walks and gong shoots, the X ring is enormous and we have a tendency to be satisfied with mediocrity.  Shooting from the bench, though it is an acquired skill, is more likely to point out deficiencies in load development than offhand shooting.  And that is valuable information and often an eye opener.
Frankly, I'm surprised at the absence of all those shooters who claim such wonderful accuracy from their rifles and loading components.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 11:07:43 PM »
Shooting  flintah from the bench is like shooting a longbow with pins and a trigger.
..lol
But its all for fun.
Great shooting Daryl  !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 11:36:07 PM »
Tks Nesmuck - 4 of them were good. ;)
Daryl

Offline Maven

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 01:12:58 AM »
What Taylor said!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 02:14:14 AM »
Daryl summed up our afternoon of shooting pretty well...not very satisfying for me -more so for him.  My first target, was my best, and yet my first shot from a clean barrel surprised me - a 7!

So here it is.  I shall try to get out again with a different rifle to try to improve my standing.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2022, 03:45:37 PM »
Definitely what Taylor said! It's more than the rifle involved when shooting from a bench.

J.B.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 10:45:43 PM »

I hate those fliers that always seem to come up. I have no intention of posting a target somebody else can figure the next match. Somebody will shoot it “clean” or should. Daryl get really close. I set it as a rest match hoping more would join in.

Dan, are we scoring 1/2 ball, or touching, as in airguns - rim fire and center fire?

I also edited my powder used. It was Schuetzen (Wano) 2F, not OE 2F.
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 03:37:12 PM »

Dan, are we scoring 1/2 ball, or touching, as in airguns - rim fire and center fire?

I also edited my powder used. It was Schuetzen (Wano) 2F, not OE 2F.

Good question.  Thanks. If we were all shooting similar calibers it would be one thing but since there is quite a wide range of diameters I guess 1/2 ball is the most fair. 

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 03:42:46 PM »
What Taylor said.
People need to remember that until the popularity of Schuetzen in the US rest matches were the rule. Shooting standing  was “a poor test of a rifle”. Rest matches can teach you things you will be hard pressed to learn from standing.
But its been so windy here that I am still not sure I have my windage right
Gotta run ML match today and its about 1:45 west of here.

Offline alacran

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2022, 02:13:14 PM »
If the test of a rifle is paramount. Then just shoot them in a mechanical rest and take out the human factor all together.
The inverse of what you say is also true. There are things that you learn shooting standing that you will be hard pressed to learn off a rest.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline alacran

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2022, 03:14:21 PM »
Went out yesterday and shot my new squirrel rifle. I wanted to shoot it at fifty yards, and see what it would do with .390 balls. I was given a couple hundred of them.
I had not shot this gun in the Midwest yet. Light and conditions and 6000 feet difference in elevation can Influence POI.
I shot a single  25 yard 6 bull target at 50 yards to warm up.
Then I shot one of this month's target offhand with .395 cast balls.
I was using 50 grains of Schuetzen 3f, and bear lubed JoAnn's pocket drill, which I measure at .o16 compressed.
The group was a little high and measured 4.5 inches. I did not bother to score it.
The second target I used the .390 cast balls with bear lubed .018 compressed tight weave canvas.
I held lower and got a more circular group which measured 5.25 inches.
That target scores a 40.

I was going to shoot more targets but I was distracted by skwerls.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2022, 08:14:00 PM »
Nice looking rifle, alacran. Good shot on that squirrel, too.
I think I'd be trying a thicker patch with both balls.
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2022, 08:38:50 PM »
If the test of a rifle is paramount. Then just shoot them in a mechanical rest and take out the human factor all together.
The inverse of what you say is also true. There are things that you learn shooting standing that you will be hard pressed to learn off a rest.

I was quoting a comment from the PAST and its still valid today. The “chunk” matches were the common form of recreation on the frontier and elsewhere well into the mid-19th C. And many were still happening in the 20th c.  OF COURSE shooting requires skill on the part of the shooter regardless of the position. But standing IS a poor test of a rifle and this is easily proven with a couple of 10 shot strings, one standing and one prone or from a rest at 60 yards, a historical distance for rifle matches.  You might want to ask yourself why my stating a simple historical fact  (if you read “The Frontier Rifleman” by LaCrosse you should find the quote) pushed your buttons to the point you were apparently “offended” and thought I needed to be corrected.  All the ML matches I shoot are standing.  I shoot a LOT of standing in a different discipline.  I shot a 50 or 70 shot match at 50 feet indoor with an air rifle upper on my “black rifle” this summer at Camp Perry.  I understand standing very well. I know that most ML matches today are shot standing, but this does not change the HISTORY of RIFLE SHOOTING in America. Which some people seem to either ignore or do not understand. I was simply trying to give a history lesson. This was my point in this months match and in the post you did not seem to like. I could not care less how someone wants to shoot. I shot an all offhand ML match yesterday, rifle and pistol and drove over 100 miles one way to get to it and the last 7-8 miles take 30 minutes or more to traverse to get the ranch where it is being held, which is at the end of a “rough” road even by Montana standards. I like to shoot. I like to compete. I don’t care if its shot standing or sitting or prone or rest of what era the rifle is from. Most the matches I shoot are all three and are not shot with MLs.
I have been shooting and hunting with MLs for about 55 years now. I spent a lot of time when working for Shiloh Rifle shooting things besides MLs. At this time I was shooting 50 ft indoor STANDING with a SS 22 as training for the next year. I shoot a lot with “black rifles”. A lot compared to what I can with MLs and a put on a lot of miles to do it I suspect I put near 5000 miles on my pickup last year going to ML and other matches. Because I like the sport of rifle shooting and I don’t care what the rifle looks like or its design.

One other thing when hunting I never shoot standing if I have a choice. I always shoot sitting, prone or use some support like a tree or rock.

However, it is very difficult to find out what position people shot from. In the past on page 20 of  “Colonial Riflemen in The American Revolution” we find an account of an shooting exhibition put on by Captain. Cresap’s riflemen August 1, 1775. Its too long to quote here but here is an excerpt.

While they state without a rest they don’t give the position the shooter may have used.

On page 21 we find a quote from Col. George Hanger who at the time was a captain in Tarelton’s Legion.

“The Frontier Rifleman” has various quotes period descriptions of Cresap’s men shooting standing, laying on their backs and on their bellys.

This was painted in the 1870s IIRC and is a “plank” rest used in winter when the ground was snow covered etc. Of if the ground was wet.

The man with the cigar seems to have a tube sight or possible a scope.

Offline alacran

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2022, 09:52:01 PM »
Dan I was not offended at all by your post. I just stated what I thought was obvious. I respect your opinions and I agree that in this country shooting off a rest was more common than shooting standing. I believe this is the sort of repartee we would have around a campfire.
My favorite rest position is standing in a rifle pit with the rifle rested on sand bags. very steady specially with the short black rifles.

Daryl thanks for the compliment. I will probably try the .018 canvas on the .395 bullets, they load tight with the pocket drill but the patches have a little edge cutting.
I have some .022 that I will try with the .390 balls.
Like I said it is a new gun and I have a new .61 cal jaeger that I have also been trying to figure out.
But for now the loads work fine for killing tree rats. Four for six so far.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:56:26 AM by alacran »