Author Topic: October Postal Match.  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Jakob

Re: October Postal Match.
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 06:00:17 AM »
So, I'll guess I have to walk my comment back a bit, as it turned out that my sights were definitely not in the right place and I realized that I never properly tested the gun after I changed from Goex to Schutzen, so the bench shooting definitely came in handy.
 I should go through a load test again and see if I can't improve on it, but I got it close enough that the main variance was probably me, at least at that distance with open sights.
 I shot 2 targets after sighting in the gun. First one was ok, but I was clearly getting tired by the second one and stopped after that.

I also got to test my diy percussion caps and they worked brilliantly!. Sure, they wont fit in a capper, but as fast as the regular CCI's and not a single hang/miss fire.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:10:20 AM by Jakob »

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 04:26:25 PM »
I'd really like to shoot this match.
I'd like to have shot all of them, but this old farm just keeps me going from morning to night all days.
Maybe get time this month!?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 05:21:17 PM »
Dan I was not offended at all by your post. I just stated what I thought was obvious. I respect your opinions and I agree that in this country shooting off a rest was more common than shooting standing. I believe this is the sort of repartee we would have around a campfire.
My favorite rest position is standing in a rifle pit with the rifle rested on sand bags. very steady specially with the short black rifles.

Such things are often better discussed in person. I find trying to convey ideas and such over the typed word a PITA at times.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2022, 03:29:47 AM »
Jakob, I see you are using what appear to be "Forester Tap-O-Caps".
What are you using for propellent?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jakob

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2022, 05:34:45 AM »
Jakob, I see you are using what appear to be "Forester Tap-O-Caps".
What are you using for propellent?

I'm using this:
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound
along with this:
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker

Can't remember where I read it (this forum, maybe?), but using foil trays for material and it seems better than using soda cans.
Quite often there's nothing to clean up on the nipple.
Took about an hour make the first batch (30 or so).

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2022, 07:03:47 PM »
Tks Jakob. Figured. The fellow did note "these were out ???years ago". The unit he was referring to was the Forester Tap-O-Cap. I still have mine & some of the caps I made back in the 70's. At that time, our pop and beer cans were made of steel, not aluminum.  I had to resharpen the teeth of my tool's cutter a couple times, then simply case hardened them.
The "formula" of powders he is using is similar to what was listed in "Pictorial History of the Under Hammer Gun".  The book's formula was what I used and it was slightly more "energetic" than the formula used in the video. The only difference in the compostion, is the amount of potassium chlorate, if potassium chlorate is what is used.
Note, if the Potassium Chlorate is the white powder (oxygen producer I think) used, the fouling produced from the caps will be corrosive.
Just a word of caution. Clean the bore and around the cap flash REALLY well.
Daryl

Offline Jakob

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2022, 07:15:25 PM »
Yeah, the white residue was quite noticeable and the barrel got a very thorough bath.
Being a plains rifle, it's very easy to take the barrel off and makes the cleaning process much easier.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2022, 08:55:53 PM »
pm sent
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2022, 06:43:30 AM »
Yeah, the white residue was quite noticeable and the barrel got a very thorough bath.
Being a plains rifle, it's very easy to take the barrel off and makes the cleaning process much easier.
Chlorate fouling is basically table salt and is very nasty compared BP fouling. Lots of water . This stuff can actually dissolve ferrous metals at the molecular level while showing little or no apparent rust.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2022, 05:58:35 PM »
Chlorate fouling is basically table salt and is very nasty compared BP fouling. Lots of water . This stuff can actually dissolve ferrous metals at the molecular level while showing little or no apparent rust.

Should read USE lots of water.

Offline Crooked Creek

• Starting Member
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2022, 08:44:26 PM »
I have printed some targets and will see if I can get a range day in this week.
"I am a Hillwilliam."   -Jim Varney

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2022, 01:32:59 AM »
Please do. We need more participation in these 'events'.
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2022, 03:55:06 PM »
Daryl,

I am still hoping to try this match, but am still going around like a head with its chicken cut off!
 :) :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2022, 08:02:40 PM »
Weather permitting, Taylor and I will get out again.
I've suggested to him that he use his 16 bore rifle.

Daryl

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2022, 02:20:50 PM »
I am really hoping to get out Sunday to shoot this. I need to brush up with my deer rifle anyway, this would be a good time to get it done.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2022, 02:24:24 AM »
Taylor and I got out again.
Not much to post. 47,48 and a pair of 49's, best 49 2X.
113gr. 2F Schuetzen
10 ounce Denim, 10:1 water:Wat.Sol.Oil
No wiping
50 lasered yards, bench.

Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2022, 03:52:33 AM »
I had a great afternoon!  It didn't start out that way but I learned a lot about my rifle today, and about myself.

I started out using 8 oz denim for patches and though they showed no signs of failing, my accuracy wasn't at all what I thought it should be.  So I let Daryl shoot my Lang rifle, and he produced a much better group than I had, and all in the black, and with a 6 o'clock hold on the bull!  He'd already been chewing one hole groups on the targets with his own rifle...he's always been a very good shot from a bench rest, shooting with a hand under the forestock and elbows on the table.
But when he described his sight picture, I was flabergasted, because that's what I thought I was seeing, but obviously had not, because I had found that I needed to see a considerable amount of white between the bead and the bull to get them anywhere near the centre.
But things took a really significant turn for the better when I changed from 8 oz (.018") denim to 10 oz (.021").  The 8 oz was very easy to load, and the patches were great after shooting - the only two things lacking were accuracy and consistency.  So I scored some 10 oz patches from him and lubed them up with Lehigh lube, and gave it a go.  Instant improvement but still some flyers that ruined nice targets and respectable scores.
So I went back to my favourite load for the rifle (85 gr. 2Fg GOEX) and tried again.  I ran out of his patches, so he gave me some range pick-ups he'd collected and had stored in a tin in his shooting box.  I lubed them up with LV and proceeded to shoot some x's.  So here's my best target today, and my last submission for this month...a humble 47 1X.  Still, a very gratifying day, shooting a 169 year old rifle with hunting loads....

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2022, 01:03:52 AM »
Well, I managed to get to the range. Just didn't have it today. Was struggling to see the front sight well, then after the third target, the heat mirage off the barrel was getting really bad. Just excuses though, I was just off today. Best I could manage was a 45-1x. Hopefully I'll get to do more of these matches in the future.

And yes, the target looks off, I was having printer issues yesterday and couldn't get a nice black target.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2022, 06:12:42 AM »
Glad you got out shooting MCTrapper.
Still another day, boys and girls.
Daryl

Offline Crooked Creek

• Starting Member
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2022, 06:05:04 PM »
Finally got out to shoot last Friday morning. Shot 4 targets and I am posting the best of the bunch.
First time I have shot this rifle at more than 25 yards.
So, here is the info and the target.

T/C Renegade .50
60 Gr of 3F Schuetzen
.018” Pillow Tick patch
Frontiers Bear Paw lube
Hornady .490 Rounds
RWS caps

Score of 38
(if I scored it wrong let me know)

"I am a Hillwilliam."   -Jim Varney

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2022, 01:47:24 AM »
Last day. I just haven't had time to shoot this target before, since the pressures of Fall are not taken lightly in our home.  Winter's wood, produce from the garden, and meat !   I did get a bear earlier but was working hard on a deer during archery season. Got one , so now I have time for fun again  :)
Rainy weather today. 3rd shot was a hang fire and I moved  :(
I score a 48
50 yards, braced against a tree
.54 cal flint, 42 in C weight Colerain barrel, single trigger
Load is 80 gr FFg,  .535 hand cast ball, old blue jean denim patch and bear oil lube
I built this rifle 25 + years ago and it has thousands of rounds through it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2022, 02:04:16 AM »
Really nice shooting Bob.  And congrats on your harvest.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alacran

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2022, 12:35:50 PM »
Grat target Bob. I too have been spending time filling the freezer. I only had time to post one offhand target. But I managed to put two fat does on the ground. Now I'm after skwerls until gun season starts.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2022, 07:21:34 PM »
Good shooting, Bob. IT happens.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2022, 07:28:33 PM »
Good shooting, Bob. IT happens.

All too often ! :)