Author Topic: Forging a couple scrapers (Virgin attempt)  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Swede Creek

• Starting Member
  • Swede Creek Long Gun
Forging a couple scrapers (Virgin attempt)
« on: October 06, 2022, 01:22:26 AM »
OK, a friend dropped of an old Hawken kit (worthy of a second post...TBA).   But the inletting for patchbox, trigger guard was a bit snug (50+ year of humidity??) and so I was thinking a small scraper would do the trick (to peel the edges a bit).     

However.. I don't have any.   SO am atttempting to create two small @ 1/4" blade scrapers out of a small triangular file.   

I annealed the file, cut it in half.. and have rough shaped them (see pix 1).     Started to shape the cutting edge.   (Pix 2 and 3).     One will be straight flat.... struggling with how to shape second one.    Was thinking a V point (which I've crudely attempted to do so far).

OK  Weigh in:     what suggestions would you have?       My questions (for y'all) are:

a) is the general shape of the "hook"  (Pix 1) look reasonable?    Am thinking the on on the right (the "V" one) probably needs a bit more curl to the tool shape?     
b) edge angles?     what would be a proper angle?
c)  Chime in if you would on the best scraper's you've used?  (w/pix if possible?)

And any other sage advice.

Thanks

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Forging a couple scrapers (Virgin attempt)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 01:56:29 AM »
Think about the angle when you’ll be holding it in your hand. I generally want the blade to be vertical or very slightly angled away from me. I don’t want it to act like a chisel, catching and digging into the wood as I pull it toward me.  I like to practice with the rough tool before finishing it up.
Andover, Vermont

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 09:30:57 PM »
A set of small riffler files for wood would work much better. IMHO

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 09:38:35 PM »
I use old Sawzall blades to make mine. Put them on a wooden drawer pull, the blade has a negative rake on it. Because it is spring steel and very flexible it can cut wood, shave wood, polish wood and also can be used on  brass and steel. I can grind them to just about any width I need. They are easy to sharpen and a very versatile tool. I can either put a lot of oomph into it or baby it depending on what I need to do.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 12:53:21 AM »
 I thought about John's scrapers when I first saw this thread. He makes some really good ones out of those blades and the drawer pulls make Great handles. I've had a couple for years that I use on horn and have never had to sharpen them. You may think it but Horn ain't soft and has a grain to deal with.

Tim

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 04:31:22 AM »
Gaeckle,
Could you please show us some photos of your scrapers you make and how you use a wooden drawer pull. Sorry but just having problem visualizing them but I’m sure a photo or two would help clear thing up. Thanks.
elkhorne

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 04:27:43 PM »
I make them out of concrete nails, yours are prettier and better made.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 03:25:16 AM »
Gaeckle,
Could you please show us some photos of your scrapers you make and how you use a wooden drawer pull. Sorry but just having problem visualizing them but I’m sure a photo or two would help clear thing up. Thanks.
elkhorne

Here you go....some of my scrapers

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 04:30:58 PM »
Just curious, but does anyone get "chatter" when using thin bodied scrapers like ones made from hack saw blades?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 04:14:07 PM »
 Pressing down in the middle of the back with your thumb bowing it a bit will stop that.

Tim C.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 07:15:00 AM »
Gaeckle,
Thanks for showing us photos of your scrapers. They look very functional and I especially like how you did the knobs on the for handles. Appreciate you sharing your ideas with us. A picture is always worth a thousand words.
elkhorne