Author Topic: Another primitive snowshoe biathlon  (Read 1493 times)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Another primitive snowshoe biathlon
« on: February 21, 2023, 06:14:28 PM »
I never heard of these events before moving to Vermont. These are fun events you might consider if you have woods walks. Typically they have a woods walk category, not timed, just scored like any other on clanger targets. Rifle and smoothbore and pistol categories.

The timed biathlon event requires wooden snowshoes and is timed, of course.

Some are scored by number of hits, ranked by shortest to longest time of the run. Others give 10 points per hit and add points for every minute under a fixed time. More complicated but emphasizes speed.

Example:
Set the standard time at 80 minutes. Give 2 points per minute under 80

Shooter 1 hits 9 of 9 targets for 90 points. Finishes in 70 minutes. Gains 20 points for time. Total points are 110.

Shooter 2 hits 8 of 9 targets for 80 points. Finishes in 60 minutes. Gains 40 points for completing the course 20 minutes under the standard time. Total points are 120. We have a winner. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Re: Another primitive snowshoe biathlon
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 04:35:07 AM »
Always thought one of these would be great fun to do, but no snow here 99.9% of the time and most of our club is too old to snowshoe anyway!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline ScottNE

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 06:51:06 AM »
I remember coming on to these types of events when I was looking to move to Vermont a few years ago. The one I saw seemed to have a more mixed crowd (ladies/younger people) than is perhaps typical at many events related to out hobby, not sure if it was a one-off happenstance or if the "scene" is a bit more thriving up there. My move to Vermont fell through for job-related reasons, but I suppose these events are probably happening in NH and Maine as well?

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 04:06:52 PM »
I haven't been on snow shoes for nearly 50 years. Sure was thinking that I wished I had them last week. We received 11 inches of snow one night. My daily 3 mile walk was curtailed to 1 mile, because I didn't have snow shoes.
I always have preffered cross country skis over snow shoes.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 05:56:03 PM »
We see a fair number of inlines, lots of production guns (mostly older Thompson Centers) and do have young folks and ladies attend the big Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon. Others are smaller, 40-60 shooters, but still a mix of ages and such. It’s a non-judgmental, welcoming atmosphere. Garb ranges from jeans and a LL Bean parka to full on historical persona stuff.
Andover, Vermont

Offline StevenV

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 03:08:18 AM »
that sounds interesting, any chance at some pics. Rich are you saying some events garner more than 40-60 shooters ? Do none snow shoe events attract this many shooters?            Steve

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 05:25:38 AM »
Here’s an old geezer. Ox are on Facebook under Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon.

Other woods walks here I’ve been to were invite only. The primitive biathlons are open. I think the Southern Vermont one had over a hundred shooters and the “Pemi” one in New Hampshire, 60. Pemi also has some non-snowshoe ML woods walks on the same course. It’s at Pemigewasset Valley Fish & Game Club.  They are out in the sticks but have amazing and comprehensive shooting facilities. I’m going to check those other ML shoots there out. Good people.

There’s a shoot planned for April 30 on the NY/VT border. Last year it was invite only and we had about 30 shooters. The parking and such at that one is limited. Maybe 10 shooters can shoot at a time at the different stations. PM me if interested and I can connect you with the honcho known as Bigfoot.
Andover, Vermont

Offline walt53

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 07:29:31 AM »
Rich by the looks of weather your gonna need more than snow shoes.🥶🛩🛷.walt

Ps every body must be in Florida .🤷‍♂️

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 10:24:29 PM »
Having to shoot off snowshoes is a pain, with maneuvering to get the right stance. I commend you guys for making this an event, Rich.
For anyone never having used "misery slippers" (snowshoes), you should try it sometime.
We used to shoot the trail all winter long, then we got kinda not liking shooting in the cold.
All winter long, we had to wear snowshoes as the snow would get to be 6 or 7' deep on the trail and a lot of targets, not visible.
Once we get the trail packed down, we don't have to wear them.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 08:15:57 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 03:19:39 PM »
That is some deep snow!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 08:41:52 PM »
Same day. To retrieve the rope for the flying goose that my late buddy Brad is shooting at, in the first picture. the young lady stepped off the trail and went to her waist
in the show. There was still some 1 to 2' of packed show under her boots. The rope was tied off on a tree or we wouldn't have seen it. This was a new year's day shoot
on the trail, target 34 I think. It was -14C that New Year's Day (6.8F), with a light sifting snow. We're not that tough, any more. Notice, no mittons/gloves for the picture. LOL
That would have been about 2008 or 2009, the height of globull warming.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 08:47:48 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline duca

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 09:54:55 AM »

2015 e350 amg
In this photo “the old geezer” has a white priming horn around his neck, if I’m not mistaken that is a plastic horn that came in Black or White. I don’t see these offered anymore. I have a few and like them
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 03:40:44 PM »
Duca, good eye! Picked that up off a trading blanket a few years ago. Very handy spring-loaded priming device.
Andover, Vermont

Offline duca

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 04:06:44 PM »
Yep! That’s it! I tried searching for an other a while back and couldn’t find one anywhere 🙁
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 05:45:29 PM »
IIRC The Log Cabin Shop sold those plastic primers.