General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Sight Adjustments - Is there something wrong here

<< < (3/14) > >>

Austin:
*are

Molly:
Austin, that's a wild opinion ???.  We have probably 12 other "home made" rifles including a Kibler kit and none shoot like this.  It would appear to be the consequence of a defective barrel or, much less, poor workmanship.  If I miss the target I want it to be me, not the gun.

Daryl:
Totally agree with Dan, Molly. The barrel needs to be bent to centre the sights. It will not take very much at all.
Does a clean bore "FEEL" smooth?  This fouling buildup has me baffled. My .36, a Rice bl. fouls not at all - shooting all day without cleaning.
I find the smaller the bore, the EASIER the loading is and also the easier it is to load tightly.  I use the same patches in my .36 with both the .350"
ball from an RCBS mould, as well as a .360" commercial balls I bought at Hefley one year. The load easily.
The crown is quite important. This is the crown of my .36.  the "old" end of the thumb treatment turned the machined crown into a smooth one. I
seem to recall 'finishing' this one with crocus cloth, after the 320 wet/dry paper.

The original barrel on this rifle was a non-identified wade land, narrow grooved barrel, that would only shoot an inch & 1/2 50 yards, thus I rebarreled it.
I used .311" and .320" balls in this barrel as well, with the same 10ounce denim patches. It also did not foul.

Frank:
I have never had a bent or defective barrel, Douglas, Green Mountain, Colerain, Getz, and Rice. All shot very well. I would contact the manufacturer and request a replacement barrel.

Molly:
Numerous builders readily acknowledge that, while not common, bent barrels are a reality.  But they are probably not detectible until the shooting stage. A builder who proofs the gun will discover it and correct it before selling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version