General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Sight Adjustments - Is there something wrong here

<< < (12/14) > >>

Daryl:

--- Quote from: Austin on February 17, 2023, 02:29:35 AM ---
Relax! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Front sight is over the same opposite, my old deer rifle….. shoots perfect!🤷

--- End quote ---

That's quite a bit of windage to the left, but of course, the longer the barrel, the more sight drifting must be done.

SciAggie:
I have a 42" Green Mountain barrel in a .45 Poor Boy flintlock that has sight adjustments like the post above, except the other way. Rear sight WAY to the right - front sight WAY to the left.
I shot this 5 shot group the other day at 25 yards from the bench. They are not always this good, lol. I was checking to see if I was missing the whole target with follow up shots - I never shoot that well.
The point being the barrel shoots well enough.

GrizG:
I had a conversation with a friend of mine about this kind of problem as I've personally known of several cases. He worked as a barrel straightener when he got out of gunsmithing school and spent decades afterwards building flintlocks... He commented that sometimes guys inadvertently bend barrels while doing the inletting. Barrels are soft.  Anyone doing what Wallace Gusler did in the movie (i.e., squeezing the barrel into the stock with a vice to transfer soot) is at risk of this. In those cases it may make sense to bend the barrel to correct the problem. This rather than cope with sights that are way out of kilter and that may take your cheek off the stock to obtain good sight alignment and sight picture.

Daryl:

--- Quote from: SciAggie on February 17, 2023, 06:32:01 PM ---I have a 42" Green Mountain barrel in a .45 Poor Boy flintlock that has sight adjustments like the post above, except the other way. Rear sight WAY to the right - front sight WAY to the left.
I shot this 5 shot group the other day at 25 yards from the bench. They are not always this good, lol. I was checking to see if I was missing the whole target with follow up shots - I never shoot that well.
The point being the barrel shoots well enough.

--- End quote ---

The accuracy is spot-on-perfect, the precision is horrid. I should be bending that barrel back to where it should be. As-is, it is a miss or gut shot on a deer at 100yards - or maybe even 50yds. depending on the wobble.

SciAggie:
I'm aware of the difference beween precision and accuracy. After some adjustment I got it where I wanted it to shoot. I guess I was pointing out that a potentially bent barrel can shoot well enough - sorry for not being clear. This is more typical grouping for me with this rifle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version